Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paws in Paradise

Post Thanks / Like

Paws in Paradise

One of our Boxers suffered from Degenerative Myopathy, which is a progressive disease of the spinal cord in older dogs. It begins with a loss of coordination in the hind limbs. The affected dog will wobble when walking, knuckle over or drag the feet. At the onset of this, two years go, the wife decided to try and help her through a wheelchair (that didn't work) and a harness so she could take her outside. I watched her fall and bust her tail, the dog go the bathroom on her feet, the dog do nothing then come inside and let loose. She wouldn't give helping her as this dog along with another was one of the first two pets she got after I went back Afghanistan in 08 after we buried our daughter. The other Boxer passed away, quietly in her sleep last year, thankfully. I knew this wasn't a typical "take the dog to Dr. Irwin" and put it to sleep.

We opted to try Paws in Paradise. They are located off 195 east side, in the Texas Plaza, kind of near the gun range. They come to your house and take care of things. Our dog hated the vet and I didn't think the dog nor the wife deserved the trauma of the "last ride". Our pets are family to us. They are a bit more than euthanizing at a vet, they go by weight and they don't try and upsell you on extras like remembrances for your pet, that is up to you. In fact, the lady asked if we just wanted her euthanized and taken away. Paws in Paradise is a real class operation, and I just thought I would share. Thanks for your ear.
    Last edited by fchafey; October 30th, 2020 at 8:16 AM.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

2. Saddened by xzochye, Rick, shawnricheson is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry for the loss of your pup. It is never easy. Glad you found a place with heart.

4. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that.
    Our chihuahua had something happen a few years ago to her right rear leg, and she doesn't put much weight on it.
    A few months ago, she kept her right rear leg up for a few days, wouldn't get off the carpet on the wood floor, and obviously couldn't climb steps.
    She's gotten better, has no hesitation walking on the wood floors again.
    I think she's learned to shift her front legs more to her center of gravity. She has figured out how to climb steps again, but not as quickly as she used to.
    She's almost 13 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a Chihuahua named Titleist, and one named Huevon (means "Balls" in Spanish). He ran the house, he used to play with the Boxers and they would lay down on their sides, it was neat. Had him for 15 years, got really sick and Dr. Irwin said we could do no more for him. Huevon lived 16 years and he too went quietly in his sleep. We have two dogs, one is almost 3 and the other is 7. Both Boxers. When they depart this earth, we are done. We are 57 and both of us are tired of putting animals down, having them pass etc. That sadness is outweighing the joy when you get a pet, for us at least.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We had a Chihuahua named Titleist, and one named Huevon (means "Balls" in Spanish). He ran the house, he used to play with the Boxers and they would lay down on their sides, it was neat. Had him for 15 years, got really sick and Dr. Irwin said we could do no more for him. Huevon lived 16 years and he too went quietly in his sleep. We have two dogs, one is almost 3 and the other is 7. Both Boxers. When they depart this earth, we are done. We are 57 and both of us are tired of putting animals down, having them pass etc. That sadness is outweighing the joy when you get a pet, for us at least.
    My sister said the same thing 5 years ago. She is still rescuing and replacing pets.

8. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the loss of your fur kid. I considered using them last year for our cat. We had to put him to sleep in May when he was 18 years old. It ws really difficult because he was my son's first pet.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

10. Thanks fchafey, sickofpc thanked this post
    Saddened by sickofpc is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone said, "Pets are only with us for part of our lives, but for all of their life."

12. Likes fchafey, xzochye, The321 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry but none of my pets will die at the hands of another. The last animal I put down was an elderly cat. Named, "Miss Kitty". Her cat age was in the 80's. No way in hell would I let a non family member touch her in her last minutes.

I cried my eyes out. Said a prayer and thanked Miss Kitty for being Miss Kitty. It was fast and respectful. She's now rests under a tree. In the shade.

The next oldest animal is another cat. " Simba". He's something else. He's in his high 50's. When the time comes. Ill fulfill my duty as his owner. Ill cry then too. But it is what it is.

All you can do is love them and make sure they had the best life you can give them.

I use to hunt but over time. I got tired of killing. But that doesn't effect my duty to do what's right and humane.

I'm sorry for your lost. Im very aware how it feels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post

We opted to try Paws in Paradise.
    I used "paws in paradise" for our Jack Russell about a year ago. Great outfit.......the only thing I wish they would offer more is some sort of burial service. As it is now, Fred, or at least was about a year ago, they just tell you that they'll be very respectful about it and in beautiful surroundings Ursula and I choose to believe them...mac
    Last edited by mac; October 30th, 2020 at 3:08 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I used "paws in paradise" for our Jack Russell about a year ago. Great outfit.......the only thing I wish they would offer more is some sort of burial service. As it is now, Fred, or at least was about a year ago, they just tell you that they'll be very respectful about it and in beautiful surroundings Ursula and I choose to believe them...mac
    I believe Mary Lee opted for cremation and will put her ashes with our daughter at the cemetery when they aren't looking....
    John Daly

16. Likes xzochye liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast