Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bama and Clemson Again

Post Thanks / Like

Bama and Clemson Again

Getting tired of seeing these two play for the national championship year after year. I admit they are the best two teams though.
    Clemson made a laughing embarrassment of Notre Dame yesterday. Showed what most of us already knew - the Irish were vastly over rated and shouldn't have been in the playoffs.
    Bama-Oklahoma was a good game. If Oklahoma ever gets a defense watch out.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. Likes birdfriend, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be so nice to have an 8-team playoff one day. You never know what will happen until you get those teams on the field together. Notre Dame has been disappointing the last few times they’ve made it to the playoffs. I got bored with their game with Clemson yesterday, but luckily the next game held my interest as Oklahoma did not give up without a fight. Loved all the hugging between the teams following the game and the respect they showed one another.

4. Likes Night Owl, fchafey, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think in the two times Notre Dame has been in a CFP game, they have scored a total of 3 points.

Roll TIDE

6. Likes fchafey, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by birdfriend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be so nice to have an 8-team playoff one day. You never know what will happen until you get those teams on the field together. Notre Dame has been disappointing the last few times they’ve made it to the playoffs. I got bored with their game with Clemson yesterday, but luckily the next game held my interest as Oklahoma did not give up without a fight. Loved all the hugging between the teams following the game and the respect they showed one another.
    This College Football Playoff committee is a joke, but so is the playoff format.
    8 team playoff would generate a helluva lot more interest. Even a 6-team playoff would be good - the Power 5 Conference Champs and one at large - or else #'s 1 - 6. #'s 1 and 2 get a first round bye. #3 plays 6,
    #4 plays 5. It would generate a whole more interest than most of these outright crappy bowl games this year. Under this format this year you'd have Notre Dame playing Ohio State (ND crushed again!!), Oklahoma taking on Georgia (was a great semi last year when these two played). As it is these teams have nearly one month off now. Hold the first round o/a Dec 15, then the semis like this year, etc.
    Last edited by CenTexDave; December 31st, 2018 at 9:25 AM.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Notre Dame football will join the ACC like all other sports there. Until recently Clemson (1981) and Alabama (1992), these two teams have done exactly what the new system wanted them to do, win their conferences and vie for the championship. I loved it in 1990 when the two champs were Colorado and Ga Tech. Then again, I want the Superbowl to be the Lions and the Browns, Jaguars or Texans and the World Series to be Seattle against the Brewers, Padres, or Nationals. Sports is a bit boring right now, that's for sure.
    Last edited by fchafey; December 31st, 2018 at 9:45 AM.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

9. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ACC needs to tell Notre Dame football to join the conference or kick out their other sports programs. This, IMO, is why there is so much "anti-Irish" fans out there - me included.
    Those split championships back then sucked. I remember, think it was 1960, when Bama and Ohio State had split championships - AP voted for one, UPI for the other. Ridiculous. Same in, I think it was, when one of them voted Texas as national champ
    prior to the bowl games, which Texas managed to lose in the Cotton Bowl to Notre Dame.
    I like the playoffs, but think it really needs to be expanded to at least the top 6 teams.
    Remember when Brigham Young was awarded the national championship? Think it was 1984. Terribly weak schedule in a terribly weak conference. Played some second tier bowl game where
    they beat Michigan in a blizzard, and Michigan was not a good team that year.
    Last edited by CenTexDave; December 31st, 2018 at 10:15 AM.

11. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looked it up, no blizzard, was in the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. I thought this was interesting:

"Schembechler complained after the game that BYU "should be outlawed" because it was "the worst holding team in the United States of America" (BYU had no holding penalties). Despite Michigan's mediocre record, Brigham Young's two-year spanning win-streak, their position as the lone undefeated team in the nation that year, and their ability to defeat a traditional powerhouse in a bowl game were enough to sway the voters. The Cougars remained at the top of both the AP and UPI/Coaches' polls, though they had to wait until January 2 for the final results. This was the only time in college football history that the eventual national champion played its bowl game prior to New Year's Eve."
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

13. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. It was the Holiday Bowl - hardly one of the top bowl games, and Michigan was 6-6 that year and unranked. BYU had to come from behind to win it, 24-17. Hardly justifies a national championship. Problem is they were only undefeated team left after the bowl games.

15. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is why supposedly many sports poll voters consider "strength of schedule" in determining who goes up or down each week.

Which would benefit, say, the University of Texas better in considering poll position--a 48-13 win over the University of North Texas, or a 14-15 loss to Oklahoma?
    Sure, the Longhorns stomped the Eagles...but UNT isn't the same caliber of team.
    Sure, the Horns lost to OU...but only by one point, and they held the Sooner offense to just 15 points.

Is one of those hypothetical game outcomes a better indicator of team performance than the other?
    Glad I don't have to vote in those polls!
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with most of what you state, but Brigham Young's schedule that year was a joke - Pitt, Baylor, Tulsa, Hawaii, Colorado St., Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico, UTEP and San Diego St before taking on a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl. And that regular season schedule was before Baylor and Utah were good. I realize most powerhouse teams play a patsy or two during the regular season, but the Cougars played 12 of them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast