Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Trump Declares Dec. 5 National Holiday in Honor of George H.W. Bush

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
    Posts
    20,010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now if only Carter, Clinton and Obozo would all kick it.
    Carter meant well and had a good heart, in a Jethro Bodine kind of way.
    My disputes with Bill Clinton, while somewhat extreme, are purely political.
    (His wife is a different can of worms)
    Obama, on the other hand: his demise would be cause for celebration.


    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should pretty much be all of us.....this is from the ...

    I think the correct term is National Day of Mourning. Holiday has a "go get a Tee Time" kind of connotation....
    I object to calling it a day of Mourning. It should be a day
    of remembering all the good things he did for our nation:
    For we do not mourn, as those without hope.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure us lowly contractors will be working even though the customers will be home in mourning.
    Been there, done that. I bet you are right.


    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't wait to here what Mark Levin will say about Bush 41 on his radio show today, seeing that he ended FRIDAY's show by taking a few swipes at Bush. Mark stated that Bush (and the rest of the Bush family?) didn't fully support President Reagan's policies when Reagan was President, and often undermined him while he was in office.
    Levin seems to be a nice guy, if quite naive.
    I read part of his book on the Liberty amendments.
    Yeah, he doesn't know the signs of the times, and
    thinks there is a political fix for America's problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's funny that people are blasting him, because the Washington Times just published an article today praising 41. (I didn't hear Levin's take). George HW Bush would be considered a Dem today, I suppose. I didn't like his deficits, and he got voted out for the tax increases. People forgot the "short war" in the Middle East, and I think he was right for not taking Saddam out. Look at the mess we have after 15 years. Anyway, a good man. Went to war at 18 and served the public with a great deal of integrity thereafter.
    Absolutely no way would he be considered a Demon Rat today. Are you certain they were his deficits? I thought the House wrote the budget. They were Democrats (before they became truly demonic)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101st_...tates_Congress

    We did not have the leagal authority to take Saddam out at that time. It may have been a mistake to take him out later, but we will never know what would have happened if we had chosen a different path.

    I concur with your assessment of his life of service.


    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HW was what is known as an "establishment republican" as are his offspring. Go along to get along politicians. This is why Trump and Bushs do not get along very well. One of the reasons Trump won was because people got tired of "politics as usual" happening in DC.

    HW was a great man, and a nice person, and will be missed. But he will not be revered by true right side thinkers.
    I will revere him. He was the right man for the time he lived.
    He would not be the right man for today.
    Back then we needed someone who could get things done through friends and the political process.
    Today we need someone willing to body slam the opposition, and pummel them.
    Last edited by Mestral; December 4th, 2018 at 4:22 AM.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hymesa Estates, Killeen
    Posts
    28,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    I object to calling it a day of Mourning. It should be a day
    of remembering all the good things he did for our nation:



    Been there, done that. I bet you are rightI thought the House wrote the budget. They were Democrats
    is it not possible and even appropriate to mourn our loss while celebrating his gain, his life and 'passage'?....mac

  3. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
  4. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Killeen
    Posts
    6,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    Levin was introspective a bit yesterday, when talking about Bush 41. He did call the late Bush a moderate, and he spoke out against the Bush Admin's attempted "flushing" of all 3,000 Reagan-era appointees.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
    Posts
    20,010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is it not possible and even appropriate to mourn our loss while celebrating his gain, his life and 'passage'?....mac
    You might want to look up:
    "we do not mourn, as those without hope."
    It is out of Thessalonians, and I think I got the quote right.
    I used that passage at my brother's funeral (a few years ago).

    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Levin was introspective a bit yesterday, when talking about Bush 41. He did call the late Bush a moderate, and he spoke out against the Bush Admin's attempted "flushing" of all 3,000 Reagan-era appointees.
    I was unaware of the attempted "flushing."
    I still think he was the right man for that hour,
    even if he was imperfect.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hymesa Estates, Killeen
    Posts
    28,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might want to look up:
    "we do not mourn, as those without hope."
    i totally agree with that scripture and would never countenance mourning as one without hope does. However mourning as one who does have hope and faith is certainly not the same thing as "without hope". The scripture tells us not mourn as the hopeless mourn, we do our mourning differently........our mourning consists of praise and thanx as well as sadness at our loss......i believe that even the desciples, relatives and friends of the Christ, those who knew him best, mourned their loss of his physical and earthly presence......mac
    Last edited by mac; December 4th, 2018 at 3:04 PM.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    White Rock Estates
    Posts
    6,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well tomorrow is a National Day of Mourning and the government is closed. Unfortunately for contractors they probably will either have to use, vacation, sick or personal time. That or come to work and do the 8 hour shuffle. That used to burn me up working on a service based contract to see people going home because the weather was bad and roads were black.
    "I hit the ball as hard as I can. If I can find it, I hit it again" John Daly

  8. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
  9. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
    Posts
    20,010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i totally agree with that scripture and would never countenance mourning as one without hope does. However mourning as one who does have hope and faith is certainly not the same thing as "without hope". The scripture tells us not mourn as the hopeless mourn, we do our mourning differently........our mourning consists of praise and thanx as well as sadness at our loss......i believe that even the desciples, relatives and friends of the Christ, those who knew him best, mourned their loss of his physical and earthly presence......mac
    I see your point, although it would be more appropriate to say they mourned the loss of other disciples.

    As for their mourning of the disciples when Jesus was crucified, they were absolutely devastated, since the Holy Spirit had not yet come, and they were still unaware that He arose, until He personally met with them afterwards, and explained it to them. Until they understood, they mourned as those who had no hope.

    How David behaved when his son was taken at 7 days old, compared to how he behaved after Absalom was killed. He knew he would see his baby again, but held no hope for Absalom, and was inconsolable for a month.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Killeen, Tx
    Posts
    22,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2
    Take it to the religion section please.


  11. Thanks just2cents thanked this post
  12. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,626
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i totally agree with that scripture and would never countenance mourning as one without hope does. However mourning as one who does have hope and faith is certainly not the same thing as "without hope". The scripture tells us not mourn as the hopeless mourn, we do our mourning differently........our mourning consists of praise and thanx as well as sadness at our loss......i believe that even the desciples, relatives and friends of the Christ, those who knew him best, mourned their loss of his physical and earthly presence......mac
    Come on Mac... now I got to go put my suit on again to read your post
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

  13. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UCLA / Unknown Corner of Lower Alabama
    Posts
    7,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well tomorrow is a National Day of Mourning and the government is closed. Unfortunately for contractors they probably will either have to use, vacation, sick or personal time. That or come to work and do the 8 hour shuffle. That used to burn me up working on a service based contract to see people going home because the weather was bad and roads were black.
    We have contractors from 3 vendors in town this week, so I have to go to work with them. I'll do a comp day sometime later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •