Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California Night Club Shooting

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

California Night Club Shooting

11 patrons, 1 Sheriff Deputy, 1 gunman dead.

Gunman said to be an ex-Marine with PTSD.

2. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait - what about all those gun laws they have?

It's kind of sad that I knew pretty immediately that it was going to be a veteran that was the shooter. I just thought it was going to be a Seabee because that's very close to the main Seabee Base on the West Coast. Turns out, it's a Marine vet instead.
    The entire purpose of a bayonet is to bring a knife to a gunfight.
    When I was younger, I used to try to impress people with how expensive an item was, but as I grow older I find myself trying to impress people with how cheap I got an item.
    Don't tell someone they're wrong. Explain why. If you can't, maybe you're the wrong one.

4. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can still buy guns in California. They haven't quite gotten rid of all gun owners rights out there...yet. Things like this get the unicorn fart sniffers going though.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    11 patrons, 1 Sheriff Deputy, 1 gunman dead.

Gunman said to be an ex-Marine with PTSD.
    I suspect it was psychosis, rather than PTSD.

Ever since PTSD became a common diagnosis for vets, the doctors like
    to hang everything on that, because it sounds so much nicer.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    They had to respond to this guys delusional ravings before. He was known to the local PD as having issues.

I am surprised, really, that anyone who claims PTSD is allowed to buy a gun in California. I suspect this is an oversight they soon remedy, knowing their knee jerk reactions to almost anything.

One of my biggest concerns about PTSD is that it is so easily declared and there are benefits that are associated with claiming it. And, a medical discharge with paying benefits can be had if one pursues it. Benefits with almost no backflow issues is an easy target for naysayers. I suspect California may address that.
    We have met the enemy and he is us... POGO

8. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    They had to respond to this guys delusional ravings before. He was known to the local PD as having issues.

I am surprised, really, that anyone who claims PTSD is allowed to buy a gun in California. I suspect this is an oversight they soon remedy, knowing their knee jerk reactions to almost anything.

One of my biggest concerns about PTSD is that it is so easily declared and there are benefits that are associated with claiming it. And, a medical discharge with paying benefits can be had if one pursues it. Benefits with almost no backflow issues is an easy target for naysayers. I suspect California may address that.
    well, having PTSD shouldn't be a disqualifier anyway, for weapon ownership....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    well, having PTSD shouldn't be a disqualifier anyway, for weapon ownership....mac
    I think PTSD should be categorized as a mental defect. I believe a mental defect then disqualifies one to own a gun. My opinion though.
    "I hit the ball as hard as I can. If I can find it, I hit it again" John Daly

11. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets see:

- White man with mental health issues who has had the cops arrive in the past
    - Goes to a local popular spot with a large group of people and starts shooting
    - Does this with a hand gun
    - Nobody in the building has a gun due to local laws - even the three rumored off duty officers
    - Finally commits suicide in the end

Yep - sounds like Luby's all over again.
    The entire purpose of a bayonet is to bring a knife to a gunfight.
    When I was younger, I used to try to impress people with how expensive an item was, but as I grow older I find myself trying to impress people with how cheap I got an item.
    Don't tell someone they're wrong. Explain why. If you can't, maybe you're the wrong one.

13. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once again, the shooter got the order all wrong.
    If the shooter is going to commit suicide, the shooter is supposed to commit suicide BEFORE shooting up other people.

15. LOL CenTexDave, madasheck, fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    I think PTSD should be categorized as a mental defect. I believe a mental defect then disqualifies one to own a gun. My opinion though.
    May not be PTSD. CBS News Online has a story with this passage in it today:
    On Thursday police searched the home Long shared with his mother. There were rumors Long suffered from PTSD. Long's high school track coach said he physically assaulted her his senior year, but she never filed charges. "There are hundreds of thousands of people with PTSD. They don't go around shooting people. This kid was mentally disturbed in high school," Dominique Colell said.

"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

17. Thanks CenTexDave, fchafey thanked this post
    Likes Shotgun Jeremy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast