Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slowly coming back online

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No mac, it wasn't your fault, this time. the person who always wanted people tossed is gone.

There were some technical issues and it was totally the hosting services fault. The entire site disappeared, database and all for a few days Not only for us, but for thousands of other sites that this company, MDDhosting.com hosts. According to their excuse, their most advanced tech meant to trim the unwanted files from the storage drives, but instead, deleted ALL files.

What is most unbelievable is that someone actually put up a GoFundMe account for the host. I guess they wanted to reward incompetence.

They got it restored this morning and it looks like we only lost messages from late Thursday and all of Friday's.

But we are back!
    That GoFundMe page is probably for the advanced Tech that no longer has a job.
    Last edited by Ricky; September 24th, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Never mind, the "activity" button is working again, as it should.

Thousands of sites.
    Over 24 hours of work per site.
    That amounts to a hell of a lot of loss.
    Oh ya. There are a lot of people pissed. I think they estimate that they host over 9,000 and there are a lot of people who are resellers and that means even more. Plus, there are some servers that are still a few days from being restored.

Luckily, I have been with them since 2012, so we were on their second server.

3. Likes TheOldProgrammer, Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought maybe Rick inadvertently let the domain registration expire without renewing it.
    Last edited by Gramps; September 24th, 2018 at 12:54 PM.
    "Any Society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

"My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That was possible in the early days. I now have that set to auto-renew with GoDaddy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am glad this is back up. Cigarettes are expensive....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

7. Likes Mestral, CenTexDave liked this post
    LOL Rick, Night Owl, Mestral, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So now, I have to decide if I am going to stay with this host. They've been pretty good over the years and I doubt if this mistake will ever happen again with them.

9. Likes Night Owl, Mestral, TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    wow! i kind of thought i got thrown off again......mac
    Me too.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

11. LOL Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The forum post on mddhosting.com that explained the outage went from over 10 pages to 3, and is now locked. Looks like they removed all the customer posts and it's only "Mike" and other employee's posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    The forum post on mddhosting.com that explained the outage went from over 10 pages to 3, and is now locked. Looks like they removed all the customer posts and it's only "Mike" and other employee's posts.
    They were all over the place all weekend. They were posting on Twitter, their forum, and on Webhostingtalk.com. I get that they were in over their heads and reputation is everything, but it was hard to get a straight answer from them.

When it went down Friday evening, I figured they would be up in no time because I've seen it before. But come Saturday morning, I was getting concerned. I didn't get pissed until it hit the 24 hour mark and they had no clue when it would possibly be restored.

What bothered me too was that I had no way to let you all know. The error page said to contact the webmaster, but the command they entered deleted all email accounts, so those emails wouldn't have had anywhere to go. Even if I had used another email address like gmail, the config file that lists the address was deleted too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    wow! i kind of thought i got thrown off again......mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Me too.
    Me three.

What bothered me too was that I had no way to let you all know. The error page said to contact the webmaster, but the command they entered deleted all email accounts, so those emails wouldn't have had anywhere to go. Even if I had used another email address like gmail, the config file that lists the address was deleted too.
    You might want to keep a copy of the list of email addresses on a local machine.

I know I don't have a problem with you having my email address, and I am sure none of the others do either. You could set up a mail drop for forum use only, so that sending out a notice to us wouldn't clog up your personal mail system. I have something like that set up for all of the guys I care about on other forums. Here I only have about 3 or 4 email addresses of other members.

(Come to think of it, there are only 3 or 4 people I care about on other forums too )
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

15. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL madasheck, Night Owl, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast