Thread: Darlington final TV ratings

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Darlington final TV ratings

UPDATE: Last Sunday's NASCAR Cup Series Southern 500 from Darlington earned a 1.5 rating and 2.66 million viewers on NBCSN, down 17% in ratings and 14% in viewership from last year (1.8, 3.10M) and down 46% and 43% respectively from 2016 on the NBC broadcast network (2.8, 4.64M).

Brad Keselowski's win was the lowest rated and least-watched race at Darlington since at least 1999, including the 400-mile race that was discontinued in 2004.

It was also the lowest rated and least-watched Labor Day weekend race over the same span.

--- Sports Media Watch ---
    Tell me again how NA$CAR is doing so well...

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -- Albus Dumbledore...

2. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They need to figure out how to get it livestreamed on YouTube and Netflix, then bring back some of the old sponsors and rules. During the week, show dirt track races, circle 8 racing, and demolition derby. Make it the life style it used to be.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

4. Likes Night Owl, TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They need to figure out how to get it livestreamed on YouTube and Netflix, then bring back some of the old sponsors and rules. During the week, show dirt track races, circle 8 racing, and demolition derby. Make it the life style it used to be.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    That's a great idea, maybe they could everything that has to do with racing on one channel and call it....ummm I don't know....The Speed Channel? I will never understand why that went away, then again it probably had to do with F1, NASCAR etc wanting more and more money....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

6. Likes Shotgun Jeremy, TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    LOL Shotgun Jeremy LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Speed Channel was owned by Fox, which wanted a NATIONAL 'Fox Sports Channel. The 'Fox Sports Channel' that already existed was a REGIONAL channel--the South got nothing but SEC games, the middle of the U.S. was almost all Big 12, etc. So Fox dumped the racing and automotive shows in favor of creating a NATIONAL-level sports channel that would go head-to-head with ESPN. The "old" Fox Sports channels are still here, doing pretty much what they did before.
    I do miss some of the old Speed shows, like Dave Despain's nightly racing show (he's now one of Lucas Oil TV's online show hosts), and the History Channel folks saw the void that was left behind, and created 'Velocity' to pick up some of the "lost" Speed shows (the non-PBS airings of 'MotorWeek', etc.) No racing though, on Velocity...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

8. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess there weren't enough of us that liked the Speed Channel. There is plenty of college football on TV already.....those with a true passion for racing, make the best racists.....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

10. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post