Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cheating or Creativity? That is the question...

Post Thanks / Like
    2015 COPO Camaro....

The production race cars are fitted with an NHRA-approved roll cage and other safety equipment, along with racing chassis and suspension components – including a unique solid rear axle system in place of a regular-production Camaro’s independent rear axle.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope... None that I am aware of. And Dodge sure isn't going to change that because they like that Bad Boy image I was talking about. Getting booted from racing in that class was a promotional stroke of genius actually.

I think Chevy did a few COPO orders of the Camaro with some sort of roll bar in them, but not 100% sure about that even. A roll bar is not that easy to do. Even professional hot rod builders don't like to do them because of the precision work required in cutting and welding.

Come to think of it, the only really stock looking car I can remember getting one was in fact a Dodge Daytona that was used in the old Dukes of Hazzard series. The old General Lee had one and all of its many clones that they had to make because they kept ruining them in stunt shots.
    The ONLY 'reason' the General Lee Dodge Charger HAD a roll cage in it, was that in the official 'Dukes of Hazzard' "backstory/storyline", the GL was once a short-track race car that the Dukes put back on the street.

NASCAR has almost always had a minimum number for a production car to be "legal" to be used on the track. The original Charger Daytonw and Charger 500 had to have 500 street versions built for NASCAR to approve it, but when Plymouth did its version of the Daytona a year later (1970), NASCAR changed the rule and mandated that Plymouth had to build 2,000 of them, or one for every dealer in the U.S., whichever number was lower. Since there were 1,920 Plymouth (or Chrysler-Plymouth, or Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge) dealer franchises in the States, the lower number was the production total.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

3. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    The ONLY 'reason' the General Lee Dodge Charger HAD a roll cage in it, was that in the official 'Dukes of Hazzard' "backstory/storyline", the GL was once a short-track race car that the Dukes put back on the street.

The original Charger Daytonw and Charger 500 had to have 500 street versions built for NASCAR to approve it,
    built for nascar.?
    I did not know that. kind of wonder where they're at now.....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you may have the cars mixed up. The Hellcat is fast, but it's the Demon that got the NHRA letter.

The Hellcat has been getting gapped on a regular basis by other stock cars such as the C7 ZO6 Corvette.

https://youtu.be/j1hXxSsZNJY
    https://youtu.be/2J6CV61GHqw

So much so that in the street racing communities, it's been developing a reputation as being slow. Also keep in mind that anyone planning on taking the Hellcat OR Demon to the drag strip will at one point or another be putting it up against some serious power. I personally know of one Corvette based out of Killeen that is street legal and pushing 1,400 horsepower. The car is straight nasty, and for sale at a low low price of $98,000 so the guy can put money towards other builds such as a Supra he's currently working on.

Also, Hennessy Performance put out a Camaro that they call "The Exorcist" and is considered a "Demon Destroyer". http://hennesseyperformance.com/henn...-cnet-article/

So, if you're dropping the cash on a Demon with the intention of taking some other cars to Gapistan for their Gaptism - plan on dropping even more money into what you've already spent.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shotgun Jeremy; August 12th, 2018 at 12:44 AM.

6. Thanks Ricky thanked this post
    Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a MOPAR fan much... I used to like the 68 thru 70 Chargers and Daytonas a bit, but hated the look on the Superbird.

I have pretty much been a Chevy man all my life, and love my Corvette... Underpowered as it is... and with an automatic tranny.

Next time I go car shopping, the wife stays home. The newer C7s are a lot more expensive than the first year C6s were even accounting for inflation. The top of the line Vettes are $150K or better. Oh, they are sexy and fast, but I would have to think twice before plunking down that much dough for a car. ANd the ZO models are great for speed, but horrible on the wallet.

Used to be the Corvette was the most car one could get for the money when shopping for speed, but I am beginning to think otherwise lately. The new Mustangs (yeah... I know... Ford) have some really nice looking cars too, but like Chevy when you start shopping for speed the prices go through the roof. But then, that is factory stock horsepower, and not nearly as much fun as built horsepower done in your garage. My T bucket had a dinky 305 in it, but could leave just about anything in the dust because it only weighed about 1200 lbs. The guy I sold it to dropped a nice 383 stroker, and then later put a blower on it. That was insane... Plus there is some sort of Texas law about blowers sticking up above the hood line on a car that made it unstreetable.. Not that that stopped him, but taking it out is asking for a ticket.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

8. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know a guy with a VW golf that can keep up with some of the best of em. There's just so many more variables with a garage build.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

10. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any VW can beat the best hot rod off the line. The way they are geared, the first 20 feet of any race goes to a VW any day of the week. After 20 feet, my grandmother could go faster... and she's been dead for 50 years now.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    After 20 feet, my grandmother could go faster... and she's been dead for 50 years now.
    No offense, but you're saying she's been voting Democrat for 50 years now, eh?

13. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    No offense, but you're saying she's been voting Democrat for 50 years now, eh?
    Not exactly... For all I know she very well may have been. Never asked her really. But I do know one thing about Granny... she owned a 64 Nova with a 327 under the bonnet. It was a (yuck) 4 door too, but it cold really haul tail. Grandpa was a motorcycle racer and hill climber in his day, and was the one to get me to buy my first Harley. He used to have an old belt drive Harley, about 1915 or thereabouts, hanging up in the rafters of his garage. There with his old WWI helmet and 30-40 Krag rifle.. He used to carry a Thompson 45 sub machinegun under the back seat of his Olds. Mean old bugger, but loved FDR.... And Granny too.

15. Likes TheOldProgrammer liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3