Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheating or Creativity? That is the question...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Cheating or Creativity? That is the question...

As teams apparently are trying to manipulate NASCAR's camera-and-projector body scanning system with strategically placed black trim, NASCAR sent a memo to teams stating that any submitted paint scheme it views is created with the intention of reducing the scan density in critical areas (tail corners, wheel openings, a-posts, etc.) will be denied. Any previously approved paint scheme is subject to having developer spray (a spray that often enhances the definition of the surface) applied during the inspection process. Any modification made to a previously approved paint scheme will be removed at the track.

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -- Albus Dumbledore...

Post Thanks / Like
    I need more details on the the intent issue ?

Are you saying the design mods provide some sort of aerodynamic benefit or result in some unfair advantage ?

I ask this because this reminds me of the "pinewood derby" in my cub scout days.

I had to explain my design and paint choices when I was 7 years old.

I used a wheel with an incredibly precision bearing and they got all legal on my design mods, yet cited nothing in the
    code other than "you cant vary from our recognized and understood standards".

So technically, it was cub-scouts that turned me into a litigation magnet LOL !
    Last edited by shawnricheson; August 5th, 2018 at 10:56 AM.

3. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait....theyre doing body scans on the cars now??? Seriously? That's where we've come to??

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    They will continue to lose tv ratings as long as this BS continues.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

6. Likes TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheating like this has been a part of racing since it began.

I watched a show yesterday where they were rebuilding a guys car from the late 50s, and he had a ratchet wrench in the back seat area where he could dial in the body balance while driving, and even adjust the steering while on the move. Nobody caught it either. He gave up the facts when they rebuilt the car and found the fitting behind the drivers seat and couldn't figure out why it was there. The old boy came clean though.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

8. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnricheson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I need more details on the the intent issue ?

Are you saying the design mods provide some sort of aerodynamic benefit or result in some unfair advantage ?
    same with me! what's the intent here? is it to prevent an accurate speed measurement or what?......didn't see anything about it today on all the pre-race shows....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    If you ain't bumping and cheating you ain't racin'.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

11. Likes TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    THe black "paint" areas of the body wraps on the cars, can 'fool' the lasers into seeing or not seeing something that is there, according to my interpretation of the NASCAR ruling. The lasers are used to make sure the car bodies are 100% compliant to what NASCAR says the shape ought to be. Not 96%. Not 88%. Only 100% is acceptable. Just tweaking the edge of a fender a half degree out can help the aerodynamics of a car...and NASCAR says that's "cheating".
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

13. Likes TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing that NASCAR's aim is to ensure that races are won by superior driving skill rather than by superior engineering and technology. IMHO they should be won by both.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

15. Likes TheOldProgrammer, Shotgun Jeremy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Superior sneakiness is, and always will be, part of the game.

There are so many rules to limit what drivers and cars have to do, it is amazing anyone competes. Like when they banned the Dodge Hellcat from drag racing because it was too fast for a stock drag racer. Dodge proudly displays the rejection letter in its advertising campaign for the car. Too fast for the drag strip.... Heck of a note.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

17. Likes fchafey liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast