Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheating or Creativity? That is the question...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too fast for the drag strip.... Heck of a note.
    What good is that on the city streets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta have 800 HP to get to church dontcha know.....
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

3. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL Night Owl, TheOldProgrammer LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    THE REASON for the NHRA's refusal to accept the Hellcat? A car capable of running the 1/4-mile THAT fast in NHRA competition MUST HAVE a minimum of a six-point rollcage (six attachment points on the car floor) in order to be "legal". Dodge doesn't build the Hellcat with a roll cage. So it's not "competition legal" at the track.

There you go.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

5. Likes Shotgun Jeremy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatsum View Post
    THE REASON for the NHRA's refusal to accept the Hellcat? A car capable of running the 1/4-mile THAT fast in NHRA competition MUST HAVE a minimum of a six-point rollcage (six attachment points on the car floor) in order to be "legal". Dodge doesn't build the Hellcat with a roll cage. So it's not "competition legal" at the track.

There you go.
    ah.....just a second now. are any dragsters on the strip today equipped with "factory" roll bar cages?.....mac

7. LOL Ricky LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dragsters are in a different class... Only problem with the Hellcat was that it went a tad too fast to be without a rollbar. In order to compete in that class, a certain number of production cars must be offered on the open market for the car to qualify.

On the street, however, the unrollbarred Hellcat is near impossible to beat with any other stock production car on the market.

Compared to a Hellcat, my Corvette is a 6 cylinder Yugo. The vette producing a mere 435 HP stock. Mine is the LS3... the regular LS2 has about 400HP. The new C7s have the LT series engines which are direct gas injection, and have better HP ratings and torque than the LS series. Only problem with the LTs.... They don't fit like an old small block Chevy into hot rods and take some serious mods to the frames and mounts to put them in. They are pretty big.

You can get the new LTs in the C7 Corvettes, but the really hot ones cost you an arm and a leg... As if Vettes come cheap in the first place.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    , a certain number of production cars must be offered on the open market for the car to qualify.
    with factory rollbar cage?.....mac

10. LOL Ricky LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dragsters are in a different class...
    but the hellcat is not and never has been classed as a "digger", has it?.....mac

12. LOL Ricky LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The manufacturer would be able to run the Hellcat with a rollcage in it, but it would have to produce, I think, at least 500 similar production line models for public sale in order to qualify for that particular class to race in. They had the same issue with the Dodge Daytona back in the day. Especially when they put that huge wing and nose cone on it. The made enough production line models to qualify it for NASCAR, and I believe Richard Petty raced it with great results.

The Hellcat has remained untouched mainly because Dodge wants the publicity of having it look like a "bad boy" that was rejected because it is too fast. There is no rule about how fast a car can go on the dragstrip... But there are books full of rules about what a car must comply with in order to race in certain classes. NASCAR is one thing, drag racing is a totally different thing. In one you go straight as fast as you can... In NASCAR, drivers must learn how to turn left in order to race. The Hellcat is probably classed as a "domestic" car.

Their motto is "Domestic... not domesticated". And it is all an advertising campaign ploy.

Post Thanks / Like
    The manufacturer would be able to run the Hellcat with a rollcage in it, but it would have to produce, I think, at least 500 similar production line models for public sale in order to qualify for that particular class to race in. They had the same issue with the Dodge Daytona back in the day. Especially when they put that huge wing and nose cone on it. The made enough production line models to qualify it for NASCAR, and I believe Richard Petty raced it with great results.

The Hellcat has remained untouched mainly because Dodge wants the publicity of having it look like a "bad boy" that was rejected because it is too fast. There is no rule about how fast a car can go on the dragstrip... But there are books full of rules about what a car must comply with in order to race in certain classes. NASCAR is one thing, drag racing is a totally different thing. In one you go straight as fast as you can... In NASCAR, drivers must learn how to turn left in order to race. The Hellcat is probably classed as a "domestic" car.

Their motto is "Domestic... not domesticated". And it is all an advertising campaign ploy.
    yeow, i'm aware of all that.....but am not aware of any "production", cars rollin' out of the factory with roll bar cages........are you aware of any oe roll bars?......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope... None that I am aware of. And Dodge sure isn't going to change that because they like that Bad Boy image I was talking about. Getting booted from racing in that class was a promotional stroke of genius actually.

I think Chevy did a few COPO orders of the Camaro with some sort of roll bar in them, but not 100% sure about that even. A roll bar is not that easy to do. Even professional hot rod builders don't like to do them because of the precision work required in cutting and welding.

Come to think of it, the only really stock looking car I can remember getting one was in fact a Dodge Daytona that was used in the old Dukes of Hazzard series. The old General Lee had one and all of its many clones that they had to make because they kept ruining them in stunt shots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast