Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy Dog

My dog obsessively knaws on her hindquarters. She has no mange, no flea and no visible reason for such behavior. It's so bad that her fur is coming out. What can I do?

My other dog keeps licking his front paws so much that they become discolored.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like some mental issues. Do they get a lot of exercise? Do they fight? Animals often express their frustration in such a manner (I have seen some dogs totally rip their fur out, birds defeather themselves, etc.). Unfortunately, it is sometimes an expression of lack of attention by the master, or caused by fear. My guess is that you are probably a good and responsible master. Try getting them more exercise, and some toys to gnaw on, rather than themselves. No, I am not a vet, but I grew up around a lot of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is understandable. If you lived with Ludwig you'd be a little nuts too.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is understandable. If you lived with Ludwig you'd be a little nuts too.

10/5
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

6. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txswimmer View Post
    Sounds like some mental issues. Do they get a lot of exercise? Do they fight? Animals often express their frustration in such a manner (I have seen some dogs totally rip their fur out, birds defeather themselves, etc.). Unfortunately, it is sometimes an expression of lack of attention by the master, or caused by fear. My guess is that you are probably a good and responsible master. Try getting them more exercise, and some toys to gnaw on, rather than themselves. No, I am not a vet, but I grew up around a lot of them.
    Vets or pets?

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

8. LOL Ricky LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My dog obsessively knaws on her hindquarters. She has no mange, no flea and no visible reason for such behavior. It's so bad that her fur is coming out. What can I do?

My other dog keeps licking his front paws so much that they become discolored.
    it's just an allergy. get some hydrocortisone and rub it into the spots she gnaws on and it'll clear up.....same thing with the paw......it's otc and no Rx necessary.......please send your payment in bit-coin......mac

10. LOL CenTexDave, Ricky LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My dog does the same thing with her front right paw. She has done it for years. Hydrocortisone does work too.

Sort of like what the Red Kangaroo does in the Australian outback... They lick their forearms and paws because it is so hot they depend on the cooling evaporation to get through the hottest part of the day in the outback.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    it's just an allergy. get some hydrocortisone and rub it into the spots she gnaws on and it'll clear up.....same thing with the paw......it's otc and no Rx necessary.......please send your payment in bit-coin......mac
    A couple drops of Louisiana hot sauce on each paw ... the licking will stop immediately.

13. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    A couple drops of Louisiana hot sauce on each paw ... the licking will stop immediately.
    aye, 'tis true......but the reason for the itch will still be there......might as well use a cone if that's all you want to do.....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    aye, 'tis true......but the reason for the itch will still be there......might as well use a cone if that's all you want to do.....mac
    That's what she said...

16. LOL Night Owl, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast