Thread: Sad commentary about an awesome preformance in the College World Series

Post Thanks / Like

Sad commentary about an awesome preformance in the College World Series

From Sports Illustrated: "Oregon State on Thursday celebrated their third NCAA baseball championship after shutting out Arkansas 5-0 to win the College World Series, but just how hard they rode a freshman pitcher to get to that point needs to be addressed. Kevin Abel, a freshman from San Diego, was brilliant in bringing home the championship for the Beavers. He threw a two-hit, complete game shutout in the finale as Oregon State won it all 5-0. Abel struck out 10 and walked just two. He retired the final 20 batters he faced and became the first pitcher all season to shut out the Razorbacks.
    As if all that doesn’t point to how historically awesome Abel was, consider these other stats: his 2-hit shutout was the fewest hits allowed in a CWS championship game. His four wins were also the most ever at the College World Series.

So what’s the problem? The usage and overuse of Abel over the past week was borderline abuse by Beavers head coach Pat Casey."

Obviously this clown never watched baseball in the late 60's and 70's. When the Cy Young award winners had at least 20-25 games with over half complete games. Shudder to think that Denny McClain went 31-6 in 1968 and the Oakland A's, Orioles, Giants, Pirates, Reds, and even the Mets had 4 strong starters. Nowadays pitchers are gone at 100 pitches.

I watched in amazement how Arkansas bungled a foul pop up near 1st base as three players watched it drop. Two pitches later OSU tied the game and ultimately won it to even the series. If this kids arm holds up he is going to be a work horse. He threw 130 pitches last night in the win. Awesome, it was "Koufax'esque"
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

2. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Denny McClain and his 30 wins and wasn't much good after that season.
    This kid was seriously over used. But I also read all their other starters couldn't last 5 innings, and that included the hot shot who all the scouts were drooling over but never drafted because he supposedly raped his cousin who was
    a little girl.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the pitch count for little league and the rest. College Softball is even more 1 pitcher centric. I just used to love to see a pitcher throw a complete game, even a complete game loss versus a complete game win one wont see anymore.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

5. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fast pitch softball puts a totally different kind of strain on the pitcher. Not uncommon to see those pitchers throw game after game after game.
    Fast-pitch was real big in Hawaii, both men's and women's. Used to play and really enjoyed it.
    Used to attend a lot of the women's tournaments. Remember one time a tournament being hosted by Wheeler AFB had 4 or 5 military women's teams and
    a couple others of military dependents. A women's team from Guam named the Bombers (dependents on Andersen AFB) was unbelievably good, mainly
    because of two pitchers. The two ladies were Chamarros married to AF guys. The two of them pitched 6 games over 3 days and won the tournament.
    One was faster than any woman pitcher I ever saw (supposedly clocked consistently in the high 80's) while the other threw risers, droppers, etc.
    Come to find out, after the tournament when I was talking to them, they were sisters. Also pretty cute.
    Last edited by CenTexDave; June 29th, 2018 at 4:30 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

7. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fast pitch softball puts a totally different kind of strain on the pitcher. Not uncommon to see those pitchers throw game after game after game.
    Fast-pitch was real big in Hawaii, both men's and women's. Used to play and really enjoyed it.
    Used to attend a lot of the women's tournaments. Remember one time a tournament being hosted by Wheeler AFB had 4 or 5 military women's teams and
    a couple others of military dependents. A women's team from Guam named the Bombers (dependents on Andersen AFB) was unbelievably good, mainly
    because of two pitchers. The two ladies were Chamarros married to AF guys. The two of them pitched 6 games over 3 days and won the tournament.
    One was faster than any woman pitcher I ever saw (supposedly clocked consistently in the high 80's) while the other threw risers, droppers, etc.
    Come to find out, after the tournament when I was talking to them, they were sisters. Also pretty cute.
    And you married one.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I did. But she died 10 years ago.