Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Special People, Special Exemptions

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a draft card. With the wrong birthdate. Would have meant being drafted sooner than I would had the date been right. But it worked out. The draft ended. And I ended up joining, anyhow.

2. Likes Ricky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Mac was given a stone tablet to carrier around.
    actually, it was a carved stick but that's ok.....mac

4. LOL txswimmer, Ricky, Mestral, CenTexDave, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    actually, it was a carved stick but that's ok.....mac
    How long did you really have to stand there, closing the roads until them " 3 fellas bearing gifts" crossed?
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t want to start a new thread, but I’m pretty special, so I’ll ask a question here.

My late husband’s hunting vest with loops and pockets for shotgun shells (which are still in it) is in the closet. I’m guessing the shells are maybe fifteen years old, since his health declined and he quit bird hunting.

Are these safe? Should I discard them, and if so, how?
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    I don’t want to start a new thread, but I’m pretty special, so I’ll ask a question here.

My late husband’s hunting vest with loops and pockets for shotgun shells (which are still in it) is in the closet. I’m guessing the shells are maybe fifteen years old, since his health declined and he quit bird hunting.

Assuming they are commercial ammo that wasn't left in 110 degree heat over more than one summer,
    nor submerged for more than two days under water (or two hours, if they are paper shells),
    they should be fine. Reliable and safe. Yes.

Commercial ammo has a shelf life exceeding 30 years.

Dispose of them by giving them to some other hunter.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

8. Thanks Grammar Rules thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my M-60 through a class III dealer who was into old WWI Maxims and had a couple of conex containers full of the old steel cased stuff that the Kaiser"s Reichswehr was no longer using. It worked fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have thousands of rounds of 7.62 NATO stuff that is probably circa VN era or older that shoots just fine in my M1A. Of course, they are packed in the original mil cans, and kept in an air conditioned house, inside a closet.

My 5.56 stuff is all fairly old, but still shoots well. Of course, shotgun ammo is a mystery to me as I do not own one... Maybe Joe Biden would know. Being encased in paper and coated with whatever it is they coat the stuff with probably makes it near immortal.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

11. Likes Mestral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post

kind of hard to tell, Grammar, without actually lookin' at them. Are they red or green, hopefully not black, plastic or paper?

how to dispose of them? I thought you lived in the country......if so, wait till dove season opens and then take them out and shoot 'em off.......if you get a soft "poof" instead of a loud blast........throw 'em the nearest tank or nolan crick.....and take the shotgun to the gunsmith or someone with a cleaning rod to clear the wad out of the barrell......do not shoot again after the "poof" until you clear the barrel !........mac
    Last edited by mac; June 27th, 2018 at 11:51 AM.

13. Likes sojourner truth liked this post
    LOL Grammar Rules LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    kind of hard to tell, Grammar, without actually lookin' at them. Are they red or green, hopefully not black, plastic or paper?

how to dispose of them? I thought you lived in the country......if so, wait till dove season opens and then take them out and shoot 'em off.......if you get a soft "poof" instead of a loud blast........throw 'em the nearest tank or nolan crick.....and take the shotgun to the gunsmith or someone with a cleaning rod to clear the wad out of the barrell......do not shoot again after the "poof" until you clear the barrel !........mac
    I know better than to ask, reminds me of Big Bang Theory when someone asks Sheldon a question, but I'm going to anyway.

What's wrong with black shells? The turkey loads I but are black.

15. Likes just2cents liked this post
    LOL gnatsum LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Of course, shotgun ammo is a mystery to me as I do not own one... Maybe Joe Biden would know. Being encased in paper and coated with whatever it is they coat the stuff with probably makes it near immortal.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that paper shells were still in use by somebody but everything I've seen lately has been plastic.

When I first started with the PD we didn't qualify with our shotguns and were given a box of buckshot that often wasn't fired for years as officers loaded and unloaded it into the shotguns. I recall one officer who put a sun roof in her patrol car while using the trigger unloading technique.

As the shells aged over the years the repeated loading and unloading would often loosen the crimping at the end and the styrofoam packing between the pellets would start falling out. Officers would sometimes attempt to remedy this by dripping paraffin over the crimping to seal it back up.

When we started using the issued shells at qualification and getting replacement shells that problem was solved. Of course a new problem arose when some officers encountered difficulty qualifying with the 12 Ga.

17. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast