Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Special People, Special Exemptions

Post Thanks / Like

Special People, Special Exemptions

Whataburger has apologized to a Friendswood police officer who was denied service at one of the company's Friendswood locations on Thursday because he was carrying a weapon.
    The officer, a detective, was in plain clothes and wore his duty weapon and a badge.
    Another Friendswood officer had posted about the incident on her personal Facebook page on Thursday afternoon, expressing disbelief that a police officer was asked to leave the restaurant and noting that Whataburger's open carry ban should not apply to law enforcement. That post has since been deleted.
    The officer had visited the Whataburger at 214 E. Parkwood Drive.
    Source: https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/f...y-12959900.php

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have read in other media, Whataburger's headquarters has stated their open carry ban does not apply to police and they apologized.
    What we need is for some of these places that act like this to be robbed, then call the PD who take their sweet time responding.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

3. Likes Dagobert II liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I have read in other media, Whataburger's headquarters has stated their open carry ban does not apply to police and they apologized.
    What we need is for some of these places that act like this to be robbed, then call the PD who take their sweet time responding.
    Same should apply for citizens.
    Of course, the cops always think their badge gives them extra rights.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

5. Likes Dagobert II, CenTexDave, ithoughtso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, they are licensed and trained peace officers. Or at least they are supposed to be anyhow. Sure they may have a few numbskulls, as does any organization, but for the most part they do an excellent job. We only hear about the bad stuff.

Having said that, law enforcement, to me, has become a force that shows up after something happens and fills out reports and then "investigates" how the horse got out of the barn.

It is almost impossible, mathematically, for there to be an armed officer at exactly the right place at the right time, who has enough time to prevent something from happening if someone gets stupid. Even in these school shootings, an officer would have to hear the first shot fired before he/she was even aware that something was happening. And from the way the media treats things nowadays, if an officer was proactive and takes down a bad guy before the bad guy does something bad, he would be lambasted for shooting first and asking questions later.

Still, a well armed and knowledgeable citizen is always a nice thing to have in case someone decides to have a little bit of target practice using live targets.

As far as Whataburger, it would be a bad thing for police to delay reacting to a call out of spite for a slight that they have received. It would remind me of some firefighters and EMS people hinting that not paying OT would result in people dying. A veiled threat if I ever heard one.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

7. Thanks Night Owl, The Torii Fox thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post

It would remind me of some firefighters and EMS people hinting that not paying OT would result in people dying. A veiled threat if I ever heard one.
    to me, it's not a threat, veiled or otherwise, at all.....it's simply a statement of fact.....an unintended consequence......i also don't consider my parents telling me that if i touch a hot stove i'll get burnt to be a threat.....mac

9. Thanks Mestral, just2cents, CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    Always?

If you were to look at my posting history, you
    would find I post very little negative about cops,
    and post almost the same number of good about them.

The majority of my anticop postings have been directed
    at a very few cops, and I have made it fairly clear that
    I am not anti cop, but I am a realist. (I have said repeatedly
    that it is about 1% that give them a bad name, but that
    that 1% tend to cluster, and that many of the others are
    too reluctant to clean house.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Always?
    Well, in a way, you got me there.

But the subject here is cops carrying openly where no one else can, and there
    are numerous rules about carrying (or drawing, or displaying) a weapon that
    the majority of cops think should apply to us, but not to them.

Do you disagree with the above paragraph?
    If not, then, by your standards, you are either
    anti cop too, or anti liberty (your choice).
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    it's not something they need to "think" about......hells bells, they do have extra rights!.......but, that's prob'ly as it should be......mac

13. Likes just2cents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    it's not something they need to "think" about......hells bells, they do have extra rights!.......but, that's prob'ly as it should be......mac
    Does the government, and by extension its agents, have extra RIGHTS or duties assigned to it by the constitution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    to me, it's not a threat, veiled or otherwise, at all.....it's simply a statement of fact.....an unintended consequence......i also don't consider my parents telling me that if i touch a hot stove i'll get burnt to be a threat.....mac
    It was a statement of fact that the people making the knew was meant to frighten people. To me, that is a veiled threat. You can consider it whatever makes you happy. I will do the same.

If there is the need for an additional EMS vehicle and crew so badly that anyone loses good service, then maybe someone should talk about hiring more people.

It would be nice if someone at the KDH did research about just how may late or unanswered calls there are yearly due to EMS shortages on staff.

From what I have seen over the years the answer that always comes up is that in order for there to be safe streets and adequate health coverage, communities should be willing to grow the force (FD and PD) to whatever level they think is good. Which is a nebulous number always.

I always get a kick out of watching post incident briefings from the FD and PD bosses. Usually the first thing out of their mouths is the cry for more money.

ANd, I am all for paying them a good, decent, living wage. But some can take it to the extreme.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

16. Thanks Night Owl, CenTexDave thanked this post
    Likes Mestral liked this post
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast