Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UMHB suspends football coach over NCAA violations

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

UMHB suspends football coach over NCAA violations

This is disappointing. They sent an email press release to the alumni this afternoon. I would really like to know what they did.

BELTON, Texas (KWTX) The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is suspending its head football coach over self-reported NCAA violations.

The violations reported to the NCAA on April 9 involve extra benefits to two football players, the school said.

The university didn’t provide specific information about the infractions, but said they are major under NCAA rules.

“There was no effort to hide or deny the conduct which resulted in extra benefits to student-athletes, and the benefits were not provided with an intention to obtain either a recruiting advantage or competitive advantage,” the school said.

“The infractions do not involve sexual misconduct, academic fraud, or financial aid,” the school said.

Head coach Pete Fredenburg has been suspended for three months without pay and for the first three games of the 2018 season.

Defense coordinator Larry Harmon will serve as interim head coach.

"I've spent my entire career as a football coach investing in kids," Fredenburg said.

"In this instance, I unintentionally broke an NCAA rule. I regret this and I accept responsibility."

The school says it also identified possible secondary violations outside of the football program, which the NCAA is reviewing.

"UMHB is committed to upholding both the spirit and letter of NCAA rules, and we will use this as a learning opportunity," UMHB President Randy O'Rear said.

"The university will continue its tradition of excellence and hold itself to the highest standards of compliance and integrity," he said.

Fredenburg, who started the Division III UMHB program in 1998, has compiled a 210-39 in 20 seasons as the program’s only head coach and led the Cru to its first NCAA Division III national championship in 2016 with a 10-7 victory over Wisconsin-Oshkosh.

UMHB returned to the Stagg Bowl in 2017 and finished as national runner-up with a 14-1 overall record after losing to Mount Union 12-0.

UMHB claimed the American Southwest Conference championship for 10 straight years from 2005 to 2014 and in 2016 and 2017 as well.

Fredenburg is a ten-time ASC Coach of the Year and has earned AFCA Regional Coach of the Year honors nine times in his career.

He was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame earlier this month.

Fredenburg started his career in Texas as a high school coach, spent 13 years as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Baylor University a year at Louisiana State University and three years as defensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech University.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naturally the article doesn't state what the violation(s) were. But the Cru should be ok.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    He is always quick to suspend his players when they screwed up. It's nice to see him hold himself to the same standard.

4. Likes TheOldProgrammer, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    KWTX, did manage to find one student to infer that he was about to be outed, so he self reported in order to keep in small instead of something huge.

"Students who learned the news Monday were disappointed.
    “It definitely puts questions in minds I think," said Christian Studies junior Tanner Watson. “It’s a judgement call and people have to say they either trust him (Fredenburg) or not.”
    “I kind of always suspected it was going on, but at least they reported it themselves," said junior Matt McDaniels.
    While they were disheartened, the students were also proud the school and coach turned themselves in."
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    ANd, we have all seen and heard about what passes for these ghastly infractions of the rules.

Reminded me of the times that the team would fly to a game from the airport... The booster club always made sure there were plenty of sandwhiches and drinks catered into the airport before the team got there. Stuff like that can be misconstrued as "getting benefits" from status of being on the team. And some of the violations of the rules can be trivial at best.

Easy to trespass into someones safe area today... Just tell a fellow coworker how nice they look that morning and you can find yourself up on charges.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

7. Likes CenTexDave, birdfriend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could've been a simple recruiting violation...maybe he talked to a Belton HS football player at WalMart, which could, in the eyes of the NCAA, constitute a recruiting violation (unauthorized visit or contact).

I remember years ago, when Waco High went to the Class 5A (4A?) playoffs, and they flew to the game. Baylor coach Grant Teaff (or was it one of his successors?) was at the airport to see them off, BUT he had to clear that action with the NCAA first, so as to show that it was his support for the local high team and NOT a recruiting visit.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post Thanks / Like
    Doubt it was a recruiting violation. Div III cannot offer any scholarships. Now maybe he offered a new tractor to the kid's father, but doubt it.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found a twitter feed from Belton that states "Two students received extra benefits", which Rick originally posted, cant find what the benefit was though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umhb.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	7577
    Last edited by fchafey; April 17th, 2018 at 12:27 PM.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Doubt it was like Louisville where Slick Rick Pitino was providing hookers for recruits.

Post Thanks / Like
    The sad truth is that 'self reported' or not, he's gone and the NCAA will hammer UMHB hard...

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -- Albus Dumbledore...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast