Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day, April 16, 1970

Post Thanks / Like

Opening Day, April 16, 1970

Baseball didn't use to open their seasons so early. The 162 game schedule changed that.
    But on opening day, April 16, 1940, a young kid from Iowa was pitching for the Cleveland Indians and
    threw the only no hitter in the history of baseball on opening day. The Chicago White Sox players entered
    the game with a .000 batting average. After 9 innings they left with a .000 batting average.
    Congrats to one of the GOAT, Bob Feller.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. Likes fchafey, Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I went to school at Leavenworth in 2106, I had the privilege to go to the Negro League Hall of Fame and remember reading this:

"Leon Day was one of the great pitchers in the history of the Negro Leagues. On this day in 1946, he threw a no hitter on Opening Day. Typically, when one thinks about Opening Day no hitters, the list begins and ends with Bob Feller. It is understandable, as the Cleveland Indians hurler has been the only pitcher in the history of the Major Leagues to throw a no hitter on Opening Day. However, it is important to note that his accomplishment is in MLB history.
    The reason for the distinction is because Feller did not fire the only Opening Day no hitter. That is because, on this day in 1946, Leon Day fired a no hitter of his own, taking down the Philadelphia Stars on Opening Day in the Negro Leagues. It was an impressive outing for Day. In all, he allowed three baserunners, with just one walk while his defense made two errors behind him. This would also be the final nine inning no hitter in Negro League history.
    Making the start all the more impressive was that it was Day’s first outing in#over two#years. Following the 1943 campaign, Day had been drafted into service during World War Two. He would be stationed in France for most of the war, first at Utah Beach and then further inland. The no hitter would not be the end of Day’s success that year. Although record keeping in the Negro League was notoriously haphazard, and despite pitching with a sore arm,Day is credited with leading the league in wins, complete games, and strikeouts. He ended the season by pitching two games in the Negro League World Series, where his Newark Eagles defeated the Kansas City Monarchs in seven games."

Not taking anything away from Bob Feller, truly the greatest pitcher to ever wear a Cleveland uniform (Eckersley would be next), just an FYI about the "other" league in America at that time.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

4. Likes Night Owl, Rick, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    BFD - I threw a no hitter on opening day also - in Little League.
    Eckersley after Feller as the greatest Tribe pitcher of all time? The Eck did toss a no hitter for them, but was then traded to the Red Sox, and ended up as one of
    the premier all time closers when he was with Oakland. You ever hear of Early Wynn, Bob Lemon, Gaylord Perry, and lately Corey Kluber?
    Surprised that if they are counting the Negro League that Satchel Paige never threw one, but don't know how many times he pitched on opening days.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BFD - I threw a no hitter on opening day also - in Little League.
    Eckersley after Feller as the greatest Tribe pitcher of all time? The Eck did toss a no hitter for them, but was then traded to the Red Sox, and ended up as one of
    the premier all time closers when he was with Oakland. You ever hear of Early Wynn, Bob Lemon, Gaylord Perry, and lately Corey Kluber?
    Surprised that if they are counting the Negro League that Satchel Paige never threw one, but don't know how many times he pitched on opening days.
    I will concede Early Wynn, but not the Spit ball pitcher, or the Yankees manager, and Kluber just not yet....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

7. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is with pitchers these days is that many very good ones will never win 20 games like they used to when there was a 4 man rotation.
    And a 30 game winner? Detroit's Denny McClain was probably the last we'll ever see of that.

9. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i really like this guy Ohtami of the Angels.....I've always been against the DH rule but this guy hits well (3 bagger the other night) and pitches a 100 mph fast ball very well also.......wish i could think of something good to say 'bout my Rangers.....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Rangers? We'll, senior citizen Bartolo Colon shined last night. One hitter but didn't get the win in extra innings. Ohtomi will cool off once the teams figure out how to pitch to him. But the Angels look real good now.
    Last edited by CenTexDave; April 16th, 2018 at 1:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a 44 year old man, way beyond the shelf life for a professional ballplayer, Colon looked as good as anyone I have seen this year.

But the Rangers really stink this year. And their seasoned players, with the exception of Beltre, have all gone Matt Harrison on us and decided they have aches and pains. This usually happens when they cannot produce. But some of the younger talent they are bringing up looks fairly decent.

They have no bats, and their starting pitching is the worst I have ever seen. Colon is about the only bright spot in the starting lineup, and he even looks good in relief. Other than that, they need to get rid of fumble fingered non hitters like Robinson and Rua. And I would also like to see their GM get the axe. He has zero talent for putting together a semi decent winning team it seems.

They are in the basement of the AL west right now, and the powerhouse Angels, who look like wizards, are way out front. Profar might be a good replacement if he can hit a bit more consistently. And No hit Nomar Mazara has about the worst right field ability I have seen since Nellie Cruz. Plus he couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle at the plate either.

Nope... Looks like a bad year for Ranger fans. Perhaps a swap over to the Astros side might be a good idea for Texas fans with no tolerance for bad ball playing.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

13. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For a 44 year old man, way beyond the shelf life for a professional ballplayer, Colon looked as good as anyone I have seen this year.

But the Rangers really stink this year. And their seasoned players, with the exception of Beltre, have all gone Matt Harrison on us and decided they have aches and pains. This usually happens when they cannot produce. But some of the younger talent they are bringing up looks fairly decent.

They have no bats, and their starting pitching is the worst I have ever seen. Colon is about the only bright spot in the starting lineup, and he even looks good in relief. Other than that, they need to get rid of fumble fingered non hitters like Robinson and Rua. And I would also like to see their GM get the axe. He has zero talent for putting together a semi decent winning team it seems.

They are in the basement of the AL west right now, and the powerhouse Angels, who look like wizards, are way out front. Profar might be a good replacement if he can hit a bit more consistently. And No hit Nomar Mazara has about the worst right field ability I have seen since Nellie Cruz. Plus he couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle at the plate either.

Nope... Looks like a bad year for Ranger fans. Perhaps a swap over to the Astros side might be a good idea for Texas fans with no tolerance for bad ball playing.
    yeow, i'm afraid you're prob'ly right. hell, i think the Rangers are only something like 5 for 10 right now or something real close to that. i got a daughter and SiL down in Houston......maybe I can work something out......but sure hate to do that....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Boston is really hot right now. Hope they cool off soon.
    Tribe takes on the Twins tonight in Puerto Rico! Hope the rain doesn't follow them down there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast