Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jim Thome Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jim Thome Hall of Fame

Well deserved! First Indian to make it on the first ballot since Bob Feller in 1962.

2. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well deserved! First Indian to make it on the first ballot since Bob Feller in 1962.
    You meant, of course, to say, "The first Native-American...." I know of no Indians who have played.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

4. LOL CenTexDave, Rick LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cleveland Indians are named after the Native-Americans who played in their outfield back in the 1920's. Prior to that, they were named the Cleveland Spiders.
    And Thome's election is very well deserved. Dude was a beast at the plate and a good defensive 1B. Most probably don't remember he came up to the Tribe as a 3B
    and switched to 1B.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

6. Likes Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You meant, of course, to say, "The first Native-American...." I know of no Indians who have played.
    Hell NO! I mean Indian!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chief_wahoo1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	7423

8. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Likes sickofpc liked this post
    LOL sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hell NO! I mean Indian!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chief_wahoo1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	7423
    Well shucks, if you had said, "Cleveland Indians" I would not have been confused. On the other hand, he only played less than 55 percent of his career as a Cleveland Indian and he was not a Cleveland Indian when he quit playing the game so why is he now the "First Indian to make it... ?" Never mind, I really don't GAS.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Well shucks, if you had said, "Cleveland Indians" I would not have been confused. On the other hand, he only played less than 55 percent of his career as a Cleveland Indian and he was not a Cleveland Indian when he quit playing the game so why is he now the "First Indian to make it... ?" Never mind, I really don't GAS.
    1 Adam 12.... 1 Adam 12.... see the man Dazed and Confused. last seen at the corner of never mind and I really don't GAS. carrying a National Geographic considered to be armed and dangerous. if located return to Chuck-E-Cheese
    Last edited by Ricky; January 25th, 2018 at 1:55 PM.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

11. LOL kantwin, sickofpc, gnatsum, Night Owl, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought I would mention,...saw a History special last night about Custer's last stand...It never used the word Indian for the whole program. It was always Native Americans. ...We are sooooo PC it is ridiculous sometimes.

13. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    He retired as a Cleveland Indian. He didn't like having to leave Cleveland, but had to think of his family's financial future. Cleveland is a small market team and can't afford these extravagant salaries the big cities'
    teams can afford to pay. He knew he was part of something special back then. When the Tribe's management traded Kenny Lofton to Atlanta because they knew they couldn't afford to keep him he was very vocal
    about wanting to stay with the Indians.
    This is the part of sports that suck. Free agency has killed professional sports.
    Last edited by CenTexDave; January 26th, 2018 at 7:56 AM.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    Just thought I would mention,...saw a History special last night about Custer's last stand...It never used the word Indian for the whole program. It was always Native Americans. ...We are sooooo PC it is ridiculous sometimes.
    It’s much easier to lump everyone together under the term Native-American (even when that term is inaccurate as they are not native to these lands either) than to refer to the Húŋkpapȟa, or the Sihásapa, or the Mnikȟówožu, of the Itázipčho, or the Oóhenuŋpa, or the Oglála, or the Sičháŋǧu, or the Iháŋktȟuŋwaŋ, or the Iháŋktȟuŋwaŋna, or the Isáŋyáthi, or the Bdewákhathuŋwaŋ, or the Waȟpékhute, or the SisÃ#thuŋwaŋ, and the Waȟpéthuŋwaŋ. I prefer the term Aboriginal-Americans for such folk but when I use it I generally get a huh? response.

16. Likes txswimmer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think just keeping it simple and keeping it real would be nice....referring to the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians...or Indian tribes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast