Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jim Thome Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think just keeping it simple and keeping it real would be nice....referring to the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians...or Indian tribes.
    Oops! I forgot about the Cheyenne... let's see... there were the...
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It’s much easier to lump everyone together under the term Native-American (even when that term is inaccurate as they are not native to these lands either) than to refer to the Húŋkpapȟa, or the Sihásapa, or the Mnikȟówožu, of the Itázipčho, or the Oóhenuŋpa, or the Oglála, or the Sičháŋǧu, or the Iháŋktȟuŋwaŋ, or the Iháŋktȟuŋwaŋna, or the Isáŋyáthi, or the Bdewákhathuŋwaŋ, or the Waȟpékhute, or the SisÃ#thuŋwaŋ, and the Waȟpéthuŋwaŋ. I prefer the term Aboriginal-Americans for such folk but when I use it I generally get a huh? response.
    i too use "aboriginal"....maybe for a different reason though. We prob'ly have close to as many 'sub-continent' Indians in this nation now as we do 'new world' indians....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It’s much easier to lump everyone together under the term Native-American (even when that term is inaccurate as they are not native to these lands either) than to refer to the Húŋkpapȟa, or the Sihásapa, or the Mnikȟówožu, of the Itázipčho, or the Oóhenuŋpa, or the Oglála, or the Sičháŋǧu, or the Iháŋktȟuŋwaŋ, or the Iháŋktȟuŋwaŋna, or the Isáŋyáthi, or the Bdewákhathuŋwaŋ, or the Waȟpékhute, or the SisÃ#thuŋwaŋ, and the Waȟpéthuŋwaŋ. I prefer the term Aboriginal-Americans for such folk but when I use it I generally get a huh? response.
    You mean like Elizabeth Warren?
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. LOL Ricky, fchafey, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    I think just keeping it simple and keeping it real would be nice....referring to the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians...or Indian tribes.
    And that only infuriates people from India.
    What we are now calling 'native Americans' is because when the first white folks arrived on the lower North American continent's Atlantic coastline, those folks THOGUHT they had sailed all the way TO India...so they stuck that name on them.

Hey now, here's an idea--do a traditional 'Cowboys and Indians' movie, but have a bunch of Bollywood actors as the "Indians". I'm serious...
    LIttle Hindu shrine, tucked into the Anasazi Mountains.
    Would Indian Indians hunt buffalo?
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2