Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Freezing Faucets

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen this problem unless a hose was left connected to the faucet. I just disconnect my hoses and leave them. I have one faucet facing south and one north and have been in the house for past 22 years.

2. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine did the same thing and it had the hose disconnected and a Styrofoam cover over it... And it has never done this before either... The hose that was on the rack next to it must have had some water left in it as it had a foot long icicle hanging out of the end...

Hoses are cheap, even though this one did not split... Plumbing jobs... not so much.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Well something I did last night worked but wish I knew which part! I am heading to Lowes after work to find some of that spray foam stuff to put around the opening in the break and see if that helps.

I also left the sinks in the house dripping last night which I didn't do the night before. Could that be it? I found an article that says "When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes." Does that mean to prevent outside faucets from freezing leave the inside ones dripping?
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    On a different note...How about that snow outside! I bundled the kids up super quick and took them out for a quick minute before we wentt to lunch.

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

6. Likes CenTexDave, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..........................
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

8. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Small dusting in HH, and it was over in 20 minutes... Just in time for me to take down the tree and go outside to store it in the shed... The dog was freaking out trying to catch flakes in her mouth... This was her first snowfall....
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well something I did last night worked but wish I knew which part! I am heading to Lowes after work to find some of that spray foam stuff to put around the opening in the break and see if that helps.

I also left the sinks in the house dripping last night which I didn't do the night before. Could that be it? I found an article that says "When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes." Does that mean to prevent outside faucets from freezing leave the inside ones dripping?
    don't just put that foam around the edges......fill up the cavity.

i leave inside and outside faucets dripping when there's a danger of a hard freeze.....i leave the outside ones on something more than a drip but certainly not a spray......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Small dusting in HH, and it was over in 20 minutes... Just in time for me to take down the tree and go outside to store it in the shed... The dog was freaking out trying to catch flakes in her mouth... This was her first snowfall....
    Been snowing since 10:30 in West Killeen. Gone from light to pretty heavy with big fluffy flakes and now its back to light. I just wish it was accumulating!

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    don't just put that foam around the edges......fill up the cavity.

i leave inside and outside faucets dripping when there's a danger of a hard freeze.....i leave the outside ones on something more than a drip but certainly not a spray......mac
    When you leave your outside faucets dripping do you cover them with anything? A lady I work with was telling me that when they lived in the country they covered the faucet with the styrofoam things and cut a small hole in the bottom for water to drip out of.

I can just imagine an icicle going from the faucet to the ground!

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    When you leave your outside faucets dripping do you cover them with anything? A lady I work with was telling me that when they lived in the country they covered the faucet with the styrofoam things and cut a small hole in the bottom for water to drip out of.

I can just imagine an icicle going from the faucet to the ground!
    no, i don't, but like i say, my outside spigots are a little more than a drip.....just a skosh more but it'll keep any icycycle from forming.......
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

14. Thanks xzochye thanked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast