Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Freezing Faucets

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's supposed to be 14 degrees Tuesday morning and 13 degrees Wednesday morning for those of you that Park your vehicles outside in the driveway ensure they're not facing to the north.
    Uhmmm Why not? LOL
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    XZ... One of the first things I always do when I get a new house is to show my Mrs. where the water main is and how to turn it off in case of a water leak somewhere..

It is usually in the front yard, inside the meter box... When you take the lid off of the meter box you will see a valve in there, usually with arrows on it, that indicate which way the water is flowing. All you have to do is figure out how to get the lid off (Lowes sells the key to open Killeen boxes if you can't figure out how to do it with a screwdriver like I did). If you have a pair of pliers, all you do is turn the valve 90 degrees to the right (or the left in most cases will do just as well) and it will shut off the main water supply to the house. It really comes in handy if you ever have to turn off water to change an inside valve of the toilet or a sink faucet.

One thing you may have to watch out for is making sure that you do not turn off your neighbors water supply instead of your own, as many homes have the mains coming into the same box as a neighbor.

Just remembered something else... If you ever hear running water and you are not running any anywhere, you may have what is called a slab leak. Where a pipe under the foundation of the house has broken. One way to check if your system is not leaking anywhere is to turn off all the water running anywhere in the house (sinks, toilets, laundry etc...) and the go out to the meter box and look at the little gauge in there to see if the needles are moving at all.
    Last edited by sojourner truth; January 1st, 2018 at 9:43 PM.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

3. Likes Night Owl, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just went to check it and it had already started to freeze up again. Last time I checked it was around 6pm. So, after trying to come up up with something that may be a good insulator and failing I got one of those little hand warmers and put it on the part of the faucet closet to the house, wrapped it with a wash clothe, put the insulator sock on it, wrapped a heavy hoodie around that and now I think may put a card board box over it too! Guess I will be going to Home Depot or Lowes tomorrow and see if I can find anything else to help out.

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    Just went to check it and it had already started to freeze up again. Last time I checked it was around 6pm. So, after trying to come up up with something that may be a good insulator and failing I got one of those little hand warmers and put it on the part of the faucet closet to the house, wrapped it with a wash clothe, put the insulator sock on it, wrapped a heavy hoodie around that and now I think may put a card board box over it too! Guess I will be going to Home Depot or Lowes tomorrow and see if I can find anything else to help out.
    Instead of the box I put another piece of styrofoam under the hoodie. Looks like my son will have to be responsible for checking it tomorrow morning before heading back to College Station since I will be leaving for work around 6:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!!! It shouldn't require all that to keep it from freezing... sounds like you have something else causing the problem... it's froze up again in 5 hours?
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you take another picture of it.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!!! It shouldn't require all that to keep it from freezing... sounds like you have something else causing the problem... it's froze up again in 5 hours?
    It wasn’t frozen but the knob had started to. Took a little effort to turn it but once I did the water came out fine. I can get another pic tomorrow but here is the same one just cropped and zoomed in.

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m thinking I may need to get some spray foam or caulking and reseal it around the brick.

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m thinking I may need to get some spray foam or caulking and reseal it around the brick.

This isn’t mine but it looks similar to mine where it goes into the brick. I think mine might be a tad more open than this one.

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like

This isn’t mine but it looks similar to mine where it goes into the brick. I think mine might be a tad more open than this one.

not caulking but absolutely yes, if you're is wide open to the elements like that, fill it up with foam.....even if you got to run over to 24 hr wall mart to get it.......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

12. Likes xzochye liked this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast