Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Freezing Faucets

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep... It thawed pout and dried up without any evidence (yet) that any permanent break happened.

I put and extra dishrag inside the faucet cover, and have been wondering if putting a small string of recently retired Christmas lights inside the cover would work the faucet enough to stop further issues.

I know that at the airport we use heat tape (electrical type) around sensitive areas where water pipes were exposed out doors. We learned how to winterize the hard way after a drain pipe for the fire suppression system burst one night when it got down to about 9 degrees. This set off the fire alarms in the building as the system pressure dropped. That was a long night. Try getting a plumber on a Saturday night at about midnight...
    Christmas lights may be a good idea! I have read about people draping them over plants to prevent them from freezing.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    Christmas lights may be a good idea! I have read about people draping them over plants to prevent them from freezing.
    Make sure they are NOT LED lights. They don’t produce much heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really strange my next door neighbor's house was built in 2004 they have never ever covered any of there water faucets and they have never broke or froze up.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    The plug comes on at 50*?
    Might work for poultry, but water pipes?
    I don't even bother with my outside faucets unless it's going to be 25* or lower for several hours. Anything less it's not worth it to even worry about. A couple hours at 30* is nothing.
    I've seen it come on around 37°. The thermostat is sold in Lowe's in the plumbing section. The lamp is a heat lamp for chicken coops. Those things sleep outside, so I don't bother to heat the coops anymore.

5. Likes kantwin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Believe me... the first year I had an inground pool and a shack with the filter in it, I discovered the merits of a heat blanket and using Christmas lights... It cost me over $700 to replace my fiberglass filter housing when it turned into a block of ice and then expanded as it thawed..

Winterizing is always a good thing to do, and I even thought I had it done with the faucet covers... Guess I need to rethink the solution a bit whenever the temps get into the 20s overnight. First time I had this problem at the new house, as it is very well insulated.

My neighbors across the street however had a nice skating rink a year ago when it got really cold. The outside faucet burst and covered the yard, lawn and half the street with water that then froze... Looked like a scene from that scrooge movie with the kids having sliding contests on it.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

7. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Believe me... the first year I had an inground pool and a shack with the filter in it, I discovered the merits of a heat blanket and using Christmas lights... It cost me over $700 to replace my fiberglass filter housing when it turned into a block of ice and then expanded as it thawed..

Winterizing is always a good thing to do, and I even thought I had it done with the faucet covers... Guess I need to rethink the solution a bit whenever the temps get into the 20s overnight. First time I had this problem at the new house, as it is very well insulated.

My neighbors across the street however had a nice skating rink a year ago when it got really cold. The outside faucet burst and covered the yard, lawn and half the street with water that then froze... Looked like a scene from that scrooge movie with the kids having sliding contests on it.
    I was looking around at the other houses around me today and didn't see one single faucet covered! Things always happen to me! LOL The faucet bursting is my biggest fear! I have absolutely no clue how to turn the water supply off to the outside faucets.

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    It's really strange my next door neighbor's house was built in 2004 they have never ever covered any of there water faucets and they have never broke or froze up.
    Must be the 04 models...lol Mine is an 02

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like
    Must be the 04 models...lol Mine is an 02
    I just walked outside in the backyard and looked through my fence and their water spicket was high and dry it's hard to believe it never breaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking around at the other houses around me today and didn't see one single faucet covered! Things always happen to me! LOL The faucet bursting is my biggest fear! I have absolutely no clue how to turn the water supply off to the outside faucets.
    It's supposed to be 14 degrees Tuesday morning and 13 degrees Wednesday morning for those of you that Park your vehicles outside in the driveway ensure they're not facing to the north.
    Last edited by Ricky; January 1st, 2018 at 8:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ours has a thermostat control on the main pump and I turn the waterfall on when it gets below freezing. The amount of electricity is nothing compares to broken pipes.

When our house was built, the builder put a "freezeless" hot and cold bibb by the garage, well, it froze the first year, so I bought another one and replaced it $140.00. It froze the next year so now I have a cold water bibb from Lowe's and it has never froze. knock on wood...lol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast