Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Faucets

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is in between my front room and a bedroom. I know chimneys are well insulated but you would think it would have provided some type of warmth. It was going till after 2 am. In the picture the brick is wet from me pouring hot water on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    oh my....i hate to give you another problem, XZ but it looks like your flashing is coming off of the south side of your chimney, up there....if so, that'll cause your roof to leak this spring.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    oh my....i hate to give you another problem, XZ but it looks like your flashing is coming off of the south side of your chimney, up there....if so, that'll cause your roof to leak this spring.....mac
    Thanks for looking out for me but the flashing is okay. I had someone up there replacing a few shingles last year and they thought the same thing until they looked at it. Whoever did our roofs when the houses were built did the flashing like this. The guy said he had no idea why but it was secure and not leaking. I do need to get a new roof though just never enough money.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent my son out to look for new covers and something to insulate with and he brought 2 of these back. Hopefully they work better.

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

4. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sent my son out to look for new covers and something to insulate with and he brought 2 of these back. Hopefully they work better.

that's what I've got on right now. I've been using them for well over 5 years.....no problems yet (fingers crossed and holding my thumbs"......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

6. Thanks xzochye thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What does everyone do to protect their outside faucets from freezing? I have one that faces the west and it seems to freeze all the time. I have one of those styrofoam covers on it and i also tried wrapping it with an old rag and plastic bags inside of that cover. No luck.
    We use those socks too.

I'd put a heat lamp on it. Lowe's sells a little plug-in thermostat. Plug the heat lamp into the thermostat, make sure the switch is on and you are done. I use one on my well house and it hasn't froze since.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0182HW816...a-313117089496

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-30...4aAkP_EALw_wcB

Post Thanks / Like
    My back faucet looks exactly like XZs does... And I have a cover on it too... Not sure if I am going to have an even bigger problem when it all thaws out either..

Guess I will be looking for an electric heat thingy for mine on the back side of the house... Also on the west side.

Mine is located on a back wall outside the master bedroom... I will try leaving the bathroom sink cabinets open and see if that helps as well.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We use those socks too.

I'd put a heat lamp on it. Lowe's sells a little plug-in thermostat. Plug the heat lamp into the thermostat, make sure the switch is on and you are done. I use one on my well house and it hasn't froze since.

I have an extra lamp like that and I have actually considered using it. What has stopped me is not knowing if it is really good for outdoor use safety wise.

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    My back faucet looks exactly like XZs does... And I have a cover on it too... Not sure if I am going to have an even bigger problem when it all thaws out either..

Guess I will be looking for an electric heat thingy for mine on the back side of the house... Also on the west side.

Mine is located on a back wall outside the master bedroom... I will try leaving the bathroom sink cabinets open and see if that helps as well.
    Did you thaw it out today? I have read 2 things: 1 is you are okay if it doesn't stay frozen for over 24 hours 2 It's the pressure from the thawing ice and backed up water that cause pipes to crack so leave the spigot open slightly while thawing.

Mine isn't near any indoor faucets but I will open all the cabinets and leave the faucets dripping just to see.

BOYCOTT

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... It thawed pout and dried up without any evidence (yet) that any permanent break happened.

I put and extra dishrag inside the faucet cover, and have been wondering if putting a small string of recently retired Christmas lights inside the cover would work the faucet enough to stop further issues.

I know that at the airport we use heat tape (electrical type) around sensitive areas where water pipes were exposed out doors. We learned how to winterize the hard way after a drain pipe for the fire suppression system burst one night when it got down to about 9 degrees. This set off the fire alarms in the building as the system pressure dropped. That was a long night. Try getting a plumber on a Saturday night at about midnight...
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We use those socks too.

The plug comes on at 50*?
    Might work for poultry, but water pipes?
    I don't even bother with my outside faucets unless it's going to be 25* or lower for several hours. Anything less it's not worth it to even worry about. A couple hours at 30* is nothing.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast