Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Texas..and the bowl games

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed Campbell's career. I was a sophomore at Lindale high school the year John Tyler won state. I saw him play in the bi-district game against Plano, in what was then just Rose Stadium. (it is now named after him and a hospital) It was the first time I had EVER seen anyone cross the goal line for a touchdown with five people hanging off of him, literally hanging off of him. But for about a 16th of a mile, he would have gone to Lindale instead of John Tyler. I don't think he would have had the accompanying players from little 2A Lindale that he had at John Tyler. lol I also know that with his first check from the Oilers, he built his Mother a new house because they basically lived in a shack on Old Jim Hogg Road. He was a very humble man and a great ball player. He is related to the Athletic department head at Rancier middle school. I know she told me that he can barely move now, from all of his injuries.

My Uncle, Adrian Burk, who played for Baylor, Baltimore Colts, and the Philidelphia Eagles was the Oilers Lawyer at the time and was responsible for getting him to sign with Houston.
    Last edited by blueeagle; January 8th, 2018 at 4:00 PM.

2. Likes sickofpc, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    blueeagle, didn't Campbell build that nice home for his mama next to the shack they grew up in, and left the shack standing so it would be a reminder? ..Mama Campbell did well with her kids. Earl had two younger twin brothers who both played for UT, and a little sister that was an outstanding athlete...They all loved their mama.
    Last edited by sickofpc; January 8th, 2018 at 4:27 PM.

4. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, in fact, he did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl Campbell has his name on a sausage company...and I think a barbecue sauce.
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

7. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Campbell has those interests and owns part of a restaurant or two, I think. Not sure if he still is, but he was a "special assistant"
    for UT..... His net worth was once estimated to be around $20 million. Not bad for a country boy from East Texas that was said by some to have a fifth grade reading level when he entered UT.
    An NFL linebacker once said that whenever you hit Earl Campbell,..that you lowered your own IQ. Defensive backs hated...hated to see him get past the line of scrimmage.
    Last edited by sickofpc; January 10th, 2018 at 2:53 PM.

9. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10