Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnricheson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

YEP ...
    Well, Thanks for editing my post, but the essence is correct in the end.

Reminded me of when we had our budget meetings at the airport and looked at expenditures to see what was costing us more money. Seems that most providers can arbitrarily raise their KWH prices without much interference and get away with it. One month the bill really spiked and we started to look into it. Seems the airlines were now using all electrical tugs and support equipment that used to be run off of jet A fuel. They were bragging about how they were "going green" while all the time they figured out a neat way to get Killeen taxpayers to fund their operation. I asked if there were soime way to monitor the individual usage on each carrier to send them a bill for the power they so generously decided to stick us the bill for. Seems that there is no inexpensive way to do that, and I suspect that the airlines knew that before they made the switch. It also seems that they had successfully used the same tactic nationwide by converting to green alternatives. What most folks do not realize until they think about it is, that green power (electricity) has to be produced somehow, and most of it is not with windmills or solar panels either, but by burning fossil fuels to get the electricity. So it is not as "green" as most folks think.

Oh, except in California where, I believe, it is produced by using Unicorn farts.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

2. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL shawnricheson, fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnricheson View Post

YEP ...
    i'm confused. Why does't Oncor sell to me then? Why do I have to use Reliant?......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

4. Likes just2cents, shawnricheson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    i'm confused. Why does't Oncor sell to me then? Why do I have to use Reliant?......mac
    For the same reason that General Motors will not sell you a car directly, you have to go to a dealership. ONCOR is wholesale, the "providers" are retail.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

6. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Likes shawnricheson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you have to pay attention to when your annual contract is up so you can renegotiate a low price other wise it automatically spikes back up to normal rates.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

8. Likes shawnricheson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    As you may recall a few years back, I sued Reliant because they jacked my rate from 10 cents
    to 15 cents arbitrarily, because a contract expired and I refused to sign a new one.

Sort of their "we can screw you if you let your contract expire plan".

During discovery, I subpoenaed a bunch of stuff from the public utility commission.

I learned that Oncor is the true power provider in Texas, and all the rest of them do nothing
    but markup the invoice from the base charge of 4.4 cents.

Regardless of whatever gorilla math the invoicer uses - it comes out to:

WHAT WE CHARGE YOU - MINUS - OUR WHOLESALE COST OF 4.4 CENTS PER KWH

Oncor does not deal directly with the consuming public, and sells only wholesale to the
    billing agency in larger blocks of power.

So you should start MAC's power Company and sell only to registered CTT members
    at 5 cents per KWH and save us all some cash.

10. LOL just2cents LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been with TXU Energy for a few years. Once in a while, they'll stick a Whataburger coupon in the bill remittal. Bout once a year or so, they'll send me a free debit card with money on it, as a 'reward', Almost always, the card is only "good for" about $8.61 cents or so, and I often wonder why TXU doesn't just LOWER my electric bill for the amount of that 'gift' card...
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

12. Likes madasheck, Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When my power went out a couple of years ago due to a short in my master power box outside the house, Oncor removed my meter until I got it repaired... Then I had to call TXU and ask them to get the meter reinstalled. Then I discovered that I had to first get the install job OKd by HH code inspections ($45) and that got delayed when the inspector told home office we weren't home to answer the doorbell when he came by. I then had to remind them that without electricity, the doorbell does not work. Took another day to get him back out, 30 seconds to OK the install, and then another call to TXU... They told me I had to call Oncor to get the reinstall scheduled. After then discovering that all of Oncors numbers were unlisted unless you were a certified electrical contractor, and being told by TXU again that they couldn't make the call, I had an electrician friend call them. This was, of course, during the 105 degree days in July. By this time we had been sweltering for 4 days. Oh, and Oncor trucks driving by the house 3 times a day at least which made it even more frustrating.

2 days later, and after my wife had called Oncor screaming at them and the same thing for TXU, Oncor showed up with a new meter. Took all of 15 minutes to install the new meter. And the installer was pissed because we interrupted his schedule.

Point is, all the retailers are, are a clearing house for Oncor. Call it the price Oncor pays for not having to deal directly with customers.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

14. Thanks Night Owl, shawnricheson, fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always wondered how TXU could afford to give you "free nights." While researching rates I discovered the secret, they charge about 1/3 more per kWh. I have been very happy with reliant @7.6/kWh and no contract.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

16. Likes shawnricheson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget Solar days.... Free nights and solar days. Nothing cheap or free however. It is all a sales gimmick. No free energy rides today folks.

Like when DTV offers you some "free" package and then 3 months later it ups your rate because you forgot to tell them not to continue. Get someone hooked on a product and then reel them in.

What we, in the recruiting business, used to call "bait and switch".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I always wondered how TXU could afford to give you "free nights." While researching rates I discovered the secret, they charge about 1/3 more per kWh. I have been very happy with reliant @7.6/kWh and no contract.
    yeow, me too.....
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast