Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even then I'm not so sure it would be that good of an investment. Your roof would need to be totally replaced before 20 years, and the extra labor to remove and reinstall these panels would definitely add another couple $$ to the cost.
    actually, if you're replacing a roof, moving the panels and attaching them will be the least of your costs......

I may replace sheathing and shingles next year........or that tile like that house up there toward the end of Elms has. I've always liked that......mac (or what used to be the end of elms)
    Last edited by mac; November 20th, 2017 at 3:28 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fake plastic or metal tiles work well, but you would have to replace the entire roof and reinforce the rafters if you want to install authentic ceramic tiles or slate.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    Even then I'm not so sure it would be that good of an investment. Your roof would need to be totally replaced before 20 years, and the extra labor to remove and reinstall these panels would definitely add another couple $$ to the
    cost.
    I had just had mine replaced courtesy of the hail storms a few years ago and I got the 40 year shingles. Even if someone didn't have those, the solar panels would protect the roof and reduce wear and tear on the shingles beneath them.
    Common sense is not as common as you'd think...

4. Likes gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious of how susceptible solar panels are to Texas hail... say golf ball size... falling for 20 minutes.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

6. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Just curious of how susceptible solar panels are to Texas hail... say golf ball size... falling for 20 minutes.
    They claim they will withstand a lot of hail. Up to about 3" hail, in fact.
    But there were a lot of them that didn't survive the storm here, a few
    years back. Like many of the ones on the firing ranges on Ft. Hood.
    Of course they were in denial, and kept using them. We just had to
    replace lots of batteries every week. (Battery powered target lifters)
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

8. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There's a retired CSM that lives in my neighborhood he has both metal roof and solar panels, the exposed metal roof has small dents in it and the solar panels were damaged from previous hail storms it's a sore subject with him to say the least I feel sorry for the guy he spent a lot of money.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

10. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are the solar panels not protected with 1/2" plexiglass?

I like the solar paneled roof exhaust fans idea, as well as the tennis balls. I think I'll do both. I'm on the fence about solar panels for the rest of the house. They work great for specific applications such as keeping riding mowers charged during the off season, or keeping trailer winch batteries charged, but that's about my extent of experience with them.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

12. Thanks Dagobert II thanked this post
    Likes Mestral, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was out talking to the neighbor this morning, he was staring at his roof, so I asked if all was ok. He replied he has to figure out a way to clean the solar panels. Looking at them and after 3 months and a few West Texas Rain storms where it essentially rains dirt, they need to be cleaned. That is something he didn't consider when purchasing the panels. I asked where he is from because it doesn't rain dirt up north where i came from and he said small town outside Cincinnati, called Mason. Anyway he has 30 panels and it should be interesting to see what he does.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    Was out talking to the neighbor this morning, he was staring at his roof, so I asked if all was ok. He replied he has to figure out a way to clean the solar panels. Looking at them and after 3 months and a few West Texas Rain storms where it essentially rains dirt, they need to be cleaned. That is something he didn't consider when purchasing the panels. I asked where he is from because it doesn't rain dirt up north where i came from and he said small town outside Cincinnati, called Mason. Anyway he has 30 panels and it should be interesting to see what he does.
    I will gladly lend him my power washer. If he can get a 10' ladder he should have no problem reaching to the top of the panels from the eves if he cannot get on the roof with enough water to wash that dirt off. If he wants the washer, PM me his address (Killeen/Harker Heights only) and I will drop it off and pick it up when he's finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get some of that stuff from Fuller Brush as shown on TV... Just spray it on and everything that shouldn't be there is magically gone. Money back guarantee.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

16. LOL Night Owl, CenTexDave, just2cents LOL'd at this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast