Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1st time home buyer - help!

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I can see that would concern me is that it appears the drain pipe is slanting upward... As long as it is lower than the bottom of the inside unit, it will drain, but the upward slant will cause a small amount of water to be retained in the pipe. This could cause some mold, smell, and possible breeding ground for mosquitos...

My weed eater takes mine out about once every 2 years when it is hot outside and I am in a hurry to get the yard done. Bad weed eater...bad.

Oh, almost forgot... At least once every summer I will take a shop vac outside and suck out the drain pipe... You would be amazed at what you will see come out.. It ain't pretty.

And Dave... I said I used a shop vac to suck it out.
    Last edited by sojourner truth; November 2nd, 2017 at 9:26 AM.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

2. LOL CenTexDave, Shotgun Jeremy LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once a year just use an air compressor from the inside to blow it out. Yes, does get a lot of junk in there.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. Thanks Shotgun Jeremy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Once a year just use an air compressor from the inside to blow it out. Yes, does get a lot of junk in there.
    I tried that once and it back-blasted and sprayed all over the inside of the closet....

6. Thanks Shotgun Jeremy thanked this post
    LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post

Oh, almost forgot... At least once every summer I will take a shop vac outside and suck out the drain pipe... You would be amazed at what you will see come out.. It ain't pretty.
    I just had a new unit installed for the upstairs of my house 2 weeks ago, and the installer said the same thing. Once a year, take a shop vac and suck out the drain. Then, go upstairs, and fill the drain until water comes out the other end. Mix with a little bleach, and there should be no issues.

8. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    I tried that once and it back-blasted and sprayed all over the inside of the closet....
    Obviously the Tide rolled - backwards.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

10. LOL kantwin, fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    Your air handler unit is in a hallway closet, probably. No need to dig, it is above the drain which actually runs through your foundation.
    that's where mine is. it's simply a pvc pipe, one inch, maybe 3/4 inch od with a pvc screw cap on it......no valve or anything like that. sticks up to about waist level.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    wow....must have had a dead mouse jammed inside the pipe...mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

13. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    wow....must have had a dead mouse jammed inside the pipe...mac
    Nah, just didn't have a good enough seal from the air nozzle to the pipe. Basically, everything that was in the trap came up the pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are chlorine pellets that you can set inside the drain pan on the inside unit that the AC guys recommend..... But then you have to remove the outer cover from the A frame coil inside to put the pellets in...

When I had my new American Standard installed, the AC tech put a tee pipe inside the house where I could either pour chlorine down without removing the A frame cover. Plus, if I wanted to, I could blow the gunk out instead of sucking it out... With the shop vac that is Dave.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

16. Likes fchafey, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the setup the AC guys did for my new unit. Pour a bit of bleach down the tube with the cap, and we're all set. it goes into the pan under the coil. To refill the drain after sucking it out with a shop vac, pour some water down the tube without the cap.

{edit} For some silly reason, no matter how I rotate the image on my computer, it uploads it sideways....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0249.jpg  
    Last edited by kantwin; November 2nd, 2017 at 7:34 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast