Thread: If you FOUND a DOG - Beware of false claims of ownership! Verify, Verify, Verify

Post Thanks / Like

If you FOUND a DOG - Beware of false claims of ownership! Verify, Verify, Verify

This happens in Killeen/Harker Heights/Copperas Cove, too. If you have posted a found dog and someone claims it as theirs - unless you find the owners through a microchip, tag or a lost pet post on Facebook, Craigslist, Nextdoor or Pawboost that the owner made prior to any posts that you created - it is important to insist on proof of ownership, such as vet records, pictures of the dog, a distinguishing or unusual trait that has not been shared publicly, etc.
    Pro tip: A great way to weed out dog flippers, dog fighters and dog thieves that are trying to steal someone else's missing pet is to always state that you will require proof of ownership in all of the posts & signs you make. It will cut down on the number of false claims that you may otherwise receive, and can literally be the difference between life and death for any animal that you find.http://www.houstonpress.com/news/hou...-again-9640456
    I am afraid we must make the world honest before we can honestly say to our children that honesty is the best policy. George Bernard Shaw
    BE A RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER

2. Thanks shawnricheson thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... That may be tough for some to do as not everyone gets their pet chipped. We did, and it ain't cheap. What we decided to do was take a number of pictures of ourselves with the dog we own and hoped that that would be proof enough.

There are some folks out there who barely feed the dog or arrange for them to have adequate shelter and water, much less care about ownership issues.

But that is some good advice....

I suppose since the only animals I seem to see up for adoption in the paper any more are Pitt Bulls and cats that trying to get a dog free might be a problem though... And I am curious about who decides what sort of "mix" a pet is when they list them. SOme of the digs that have been marked as Dacshund mixes are dead ringers for Pitt Bulls...
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. Thanks Night Owl, poundpup thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have chipped all three of my brutes (mini-Yorky, and 2 Sheat Tsu) and am thinking about a GPS tracker as well, even though they are never out of my sight when they are outside because I fear they might become fodder for a Red-Tailed (a.k.a. Chicken) Hawk that might come by. That being said, I must admit that I care not an iota for any other dogs of this world... come to think of it, that's not too far from how I feel about babies...Now that aint right...
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

6. LOL just2cents, poundpup LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna mix breed an new breed... Cross between a bulldog and a Shi Tzu....

all it a Bull ####z.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

8. LOL xzochye, fchafey, Night Owl, poundpup LOL'd at this post