Thread: Tree identification

Post Thanks / Like
    Arizona Ash

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arizona-ash-leaves-summer.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	6946
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arizona Ash

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arizona-ash-leaves-summer.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	6946
    Concur. Was fooled by perspective of foliage in original picture. Nice shot.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for firewood then.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I pride myself on tree and plant identification. There was time, however long ago, my strength was grasses and weeds.....
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

5. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Az. Ash does not produce nuts of any kind... They have a small very thin almond shaped seed. If you are unfortunate enough to have a female tree dropping them all over your lawn like I do. And the seeds drop in clusters.

They did a show last night on invasive species making their way into Texas that had a tree that looked a lot like that. But it had flowers on it at spring time... Not sure about what the seeds are.

And yes, ash trees do make fire wood. You have to let it season out for about a year before your toss it into a fireplace though or you will get a real indoor fireworks show. I just lopped off some pretty huge limbs on mine in my back yard and it is already cut and stacked for next winter. But it does burn a lot faster than Oak, as it is a very light wood when dried out. Not very good for grilling smoke either.

But it is free wood. Ash trees are lucky to last 20 years at best. But they do grow very fast.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Arizona Ash, Silver Maple are two excellent trees for this area. One major problem is one should have 2-3 feet of topsoil for them to really thrive. With only 2-3 inches of topsoil thrown on the ground in these developments the roots don't go down far enough then spread. So yes 20 years of you are lucky and if one like trees then one trades the trees for lawns. I can already see a few spots where the roots have found rock underneath and are cruising just under the top soil surface. I had a French drain sunk in the back yard and the picture I got while deployed of trench show roots not very far down. In my back yard I have 2 Crepe Myrtles, 2 Pear Trees, Pin Oak, Silver Maple, and an Arizona Ash. In the front I have an Oak and it is already messing with the circle landscape around the base as well as the concrete ring.
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Which brings us back to a topic all of us seem to endear - the developers!!!
    Sure, build on top of the rock and toss down 2-3" of topsoil.
    I'm lucky - I can go down anywhere between 8-12" before I hit the crap. Had two apple trees that were producing
    that fell prey to this. Can't plant a damn thing around here, but if by some miracle you do get it to grow it won't
    be for long until the beloved deer decide it would make a wonderful snack.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

9. Likes fchafey, gnatsum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which brings us back to a topic all of us seem to endear - the developers!!!
    Sure, build on top of the rock and toss down 2-3" of topsoil.
    I'm lucky - I can go down anywhere between 8-12" before I hit the crap. Had two apple trees that were producing
    that fell prey to this. Can't plant a damn thing around here, but if by some miracle you do get it to grow it won't
    be for long until the beloved deer decide it would make a wonderful snack.
    Yes indeed, deer do make a wonderful snack... a full meal even. I believe that Texas law allows one to dispatch deer who eat your landscape without invitation. Check with the local game warden though before you squeeze the trigger.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

11. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't discharge a firearm inside city limits, Mein Herr.
    Used to like seeing a deer or two when I first moved here. Now I get to see herds of 10+ each day.
    This morning I woke up, went to the kitchen to make coffee, looked out the window into my back yard
    and saw a doe and a couple new borns. Couldn't have been but 2 hours old as they were walking wobbly.
    Eat all the grass you want, but leave my trees, shrubs, plants and flowers alone.

13. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think it's Arizona Ash. It doesn't get the grey fuzz on young twigs or leaves. Also, it doesn't have the same type of seed/pods.

Thanks for try to help out though. I decided to go ahead and have it cut down since I couldn't figure out what it was. It was growing about 3-4 feet from my house and I didn't want to risk it being a large tree and it's roots damaging my foundation.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

15. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast