Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about common dog issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah... We do baby her a lot.

But the thing that sort of concerns me is the frequency at which this surgeon is being recommended by the young vets.

It smells like someone is trying to push business their way... whether needed or not.

The other thing that concerned me was her recommendation for tendon repair when the X ray does not show tendons... Evidently she made her prognosis based on the location of the bones.

I did like Aztec... and they have put down 2 of my pets. There is something else important to know for those who have the unpleasant reality of putting down their pets... Aztec is connected to a service, "Compassionate Friends" if I recollect properly that provides a cremation service and a box containing the ashes. We used them for our last dog, and they did a great job. I was somewhat upset to learn that unrecovered pets who die at the clinic go in the dumpster. Not for one of my pets. Nope.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

2. Thanks Night Owl, fchafey, sickofpc thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cove has three vets/animal clinics. I've used all three. First one was Cove Animal Clinic on 190. The owner sold and I didn't like the new vet so changed to Hill Country Animal
    Hospital. The place was great until the Luby's shooting - the owner, Dr. Mike Anderson, was a victim. After that it went to crap.
    About the same time Crossroads in Cove opened. I've been with them ever since. Great vet - Dr. Logan Beene, and staff. Takes the time to explain all and any
    options. If you live in Cove check them out.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Crossroads Animal Clinic as well. Very professional clinic, and they'll do you right. They put down one of my dogs for me and were extremely compassionate. Then, they "Paws in Paradise" out of Killeen come to take care of cremating her. About a month later, I got a letter saying they made a donation in my dogs name to a local group that helps people who can't afford to pay to have their pets put down. Very touching.

So yea, Crossroads is awesome and I also like El Centro in Killeen. Their parking is kinda tricky, but the staff have always been great.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

6. Likes CenTexDave, Night Owl, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cove has three vets/animal clinics. I've used all three. First one was Cove Animal Clinic on 190. The owner sold and I didn't like the new vet so changed to Hill Country Animal
    Hospital. The place was great until the Luby's shooting - the owner, Dr. Mike Anderson, was a victim. After that it went to crap.
    About the same time Crossroads in Cove opened. I've been with them ever since. Great vet - Dr. Logan Beene, and staff. Takes the time to explain all and any
    options. If you live in Cove check them out.
    I used the one in Cove on 190. The doc there performed surgery on my Sheltie when he blew his back knee out. Great service and would use them if they weren't in Cove.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the old Cove Animal Clinic. Changed their name when they bought that land on the other side of 190 and built a new clinic. Believe it is now called Animal Medical Center.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

9. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    That's the old Cove Animal Clinic. Changed their name when they bought that land on the other side of 190 and built a new clinic. Believe it is now called Animal Medical Center.
    Yep, that's the one. Excellent service and the vet rebuilt my pups knee. He was like a new puppy after the recovery.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

11. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only dog owner to be told this, even if it's not super common. Just to update everyone, unfortunately we didn't have the money for the surgery,especially after the $500 diagnosis bill. But she took her one week of pain reliever with anti-inflammatory and has still been forced to take it easy. She is now on glucosamine and is starting to use her leg a little for walking and scratching. She doesn't show any outward signs of pain unless it is rainy and stormy out. I think she also is enjoying that she gets to sleep in the bedroom instead of her padded doghouse or the couch on the back porch.

13. Likes CenTexDave, sickofpc, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vets can be very, very expensive. There are good ones and bad ones, just as there are bad and good doctors, mechanics, etc. ...I know that several years ago I spent a huge amount of money trying to save my best friend from a cancerous tumor. He was seven years old, the smartest, and most human dog that I have ever had, ..and he was... my best friend. I lost him, but I did everything that I could to save him. I guess I'm lucky that the vet didn't tell me that if I would have spent more that I would have had a chance to save him, because...I would have done that. ....If you have a good, smart, caring vet, you are very lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by howdyyall View Post
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only dog owner to be told this, even if it's not super common. Just to update everyone, unfortunately we didn't have the money for the surgery,especially after the $500 diagnosis bill. But she took her one week of pain reliever with anti-inflammatory and has still been forced to take it easy. She is now on glucosamine and is starting to use her leg a little for walking and scratching. She doesn't show any outward signs of pain unless it is rainy and stormy out. I think she also is enjoying that she gets to sleep in the bedroom instead of her padded doghouse or the couch on the back porch.
    Well, we can afford the surgery, but I had a lot of doubts about this vets diagnosis. She showed us some x rays that did not have any obvious problems showing. Then she surmised that it might be a bad tendon. I decided to let her take the pain meds and anti inflammatory drugs and then wait and see how she fared.

It has been about a month now and she has fully recovered the use of both of her back legs, and acts like nothing was ever wrong.

One thing that I did do was look very closely at both of her feet when she was hurting. She never winced when I moved the tendons, but if I touched her toes, she would jerk whenever I hit a certain one. This convinced me that she had twisted a toe.... Sure enough, after a few weeks she is back to normal.

If I fully had confidence in my vet I would not have hesitated to have the surgery... In that case, I went with my hunches as I was not getting a warm fuzzy about the prognosis I got. I was fortunate that it worked out.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

16. Likes CenTexDave, sickofpc, howdyyall liked this post
    Saddened by sickofpc is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have found the Belton Veterinary Clinic, 707 W. Loop 121 in Belton well worth the drive.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast