Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With Parents?

Post Thanks / Like

What's Up With Parents?

I just spotted an article today about a 5YO who was killed at a rotating restaurant because his head got caught in the mechanism.

This is so horrific, I don't want to apply too much thought into picturing it, but I was reminded of a recent lunch with a friend who had her 3YO in tow. The three was old played under the table and wasn't really reprimanded for anything. How can kids learn to behave if we don't hold them to our standards and expectations?

Barring special needs, a 5YO ought to know how to sit at the table with family. I feel this ought to be even more true when considering how fancy those rotating restaurants are (think like the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio)

I can't figure out if it is because parents are afraid to parent out loud in this day and age for fear of being executed in the court of public opinion via social media, if they don't parent, or if they don't know how to parent anymore.

I didn't start this post intending to bash the parents of the child who just died, but I am curious on a larger scale what is going on? In this day and age, I am considered pretty tough. I'm the mean parent that went and took all the balls away at the Easter breakfast this morning to get them back on their youth-served-Easter-breakfast this morning. I felt like other parents were afraid to go in and tell other parents' kids what to do (as a teacher, I have never suffered from this feeling).
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

2. Likes CenTexDave, Night Owl, Mestral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wondering what sort of safety standards apply to spinning restaurants to insure they don't process customers. Of course I don't know that this is a common occurrence either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing that the rotating restaurant's view was awe inspiring and the child may have been standing on the seat and fell in between the moving part and the stationary part.

But having never been in one of those rotating restaurants, I'm just guessing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just read a report and it says he got stuck between two tables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the tables bolted down?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    There're aren't any more "parents" , just people that breed.

8. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Likes Mestral liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I can't figure out if it is because parents are afraid to parent out loud in this day and age for fear of being executed in the court of public opinion via social media, if they don't parent, or if they don't know how to parent anymore."

I think it started a couple of generations ago with the fear of being executed if they did apply discipline. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Thanks, Dr. Spock.
    This, in turn, has caused that generation of spoiled brats to figure that's how it should be. Thus we have today's generation of entitled brats.
    They don't know how to parent because they never saw how it was supposed to be when they were growing up.
    I'm not saying you have to whip a kid with a belt (although a couple of good spankings always seems to do some good), but immediate discipline in some form is needed.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

10. Likes gnatsum, fchafey, Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When disciplining my daughters (after they reach age 4) for major infractions I first ensured that my anger had cooled, spanked with an open hand on the butt, allowed them to cry, and then gave them a hug and let them know I still loved them. For minor infractions, they got to spend some time with their noses in a corner to contemplate their inappropriate behavior while they were young and loss of privileges, such as an allowance, access to TV, access to family car etc., when they got older. Often, behavior changed quickly just by their seeing my angry visage. Over 50 years later, that still works. I also took great pains to explain the inappropriate behavior and why it was inappropriate after things cooled down.

For the most part they too model that behavior in raising their children... their husbands on the other hand....
    Last edited by Ludwig; April 17th, 2017 at 8:53 AM.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

12. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I once made both my kids stand in the corner of McCoy's hardware store when they wouldn't stop acting up. They didn't like it one bit. Now that they are adults, they still laugh about it today.

14. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Face it... Today kids are just spoiled rotten for the most part.

I watched my sister raise her 9 kids using little or no guidance and almost all of them turned out plain old rotten. My sister was the first one raised by my mom after my parents got divorced, and I always despaired of how little discipline they got from mom as a single parent. She always tended to rely on my dad for discipline. When he was out of the picture, there was none. Thankfully I was then just going into the army and there was no lack of discipline there.

Then, because of the way my sister was raised, her children were raised about the same way. And now their children are even worse than the 2 previous generations. It gets worse every generation. And there are almost no men involved with any of these relationships except at the time of conception.

The problem boils down to the same on that plagues American throughout its very fiber... Lack of responsibility for anything. Everyone wants to be there when the fun is happening but nobody wants to pick up the tab. Too much hassle.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

16. Thanks CenTexDave, Night Owl, gnatsum thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave, Shotgun Jeremy, fchafey liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast