Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With Parents?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from the grocery store and stood staring in shock at three kids with no adult in sight - at least not one that seemed repsonsible for them.

The littlest one had crawled up on the shelf in front of the donuts and was handling them randomly.

Sigh...

I guess at least her head wasn't stuck in something.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

2. LOL CenTexDave, fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean you didn't buy the little darlings a cream filled pastry or two?
    Then follow it up with something real sugary and loaded with caffeine like a Mountain Dew.
    I'm sure the kids' mother would very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by CenTexDave; April 17th, 2017 at 5:08 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. LOL Ricky, fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When disciplining my daughters (after they reach age 4) for major infractions I first ensured that my anger had cooled, spanked with an open hand on the butt, allowed them to cry, and then gave them a hug and let them know I still loved them. For minor infractions, they got to spend some time with their noses in a corner to contemplate their inappropriate behavior while they were young and loss of privileges, such as an allowance, access to TV, access to family car etc., when they got older. Often, behavior changed quickly just by their seeing my angry visage. Over 50 years later, that still works. I also took great pains to explain the inappropriate behavior and why it was inappropriate after things cooled down.

For the most part they too model that behavior in raising their children... their husbands on the other hand....
    can't help but chuckle. these Sons in Law are real pains, aren't they?......mac

6. LOL CenTexDave, Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm guessing that the rotating restaurant's view was awe inspiring and the child may have been standing on the seat and fell in between the moving part and the stationary part.

But having never been in one of those rotating restaurants, I'm just guessing.
    it would seem to me that if that's the case, it would've already gotten somebody's foot or knee.....or elbow maybe......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured this belonged here as it takes a real special parent to name their kid "Abcde".....what a moron.

From KHOU in Houston:

Mom: Southwest Airlines agent mocked 5-year-old girl's 'Abcde' name
    Traci Redford accused a gate agent at Orange County's John Wayne Airport of laughing at her daughter's name, Abcde.

SANTA ANA, Calif. — A woman says a Southwest Airlines agent in Southern California mocked her 5-year-old daughter's 'Abcde' name when they were preparing to board a flight home to Texas.
    KABC-TV reported late Wednesday that Traci Redford accused a gate agent at Orange County's John Wayne Airport of laughing at her daughter's name and posting a photo of her boarding pass on social media. The girl's name is spelled with the first five letters of the alphabet and is pronounced "AHB-sih-dee." Redford says the family was pre-boarding because her daughter has epilepsy. She says she asked the agent to stop and that someone saw the social media post and notified Southwest.
    Southwest issued a statement apologizing to the family. The airline says it has followed up with the employee.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

9. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is going on with today's parents? Why does a child have to be entertained 24/7? What ever happened with a child sitting in a restaurant quietly, without having to have a video being played to keep them silent. Oh wait I know the answer, parents not being parents. When I was a kid my Dad would have knocked me away from the table if I acted up, but society doesn't allow that anymore. Today kids don't understand the word NO.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I have this uncanny knack for drawing the kids who scream and yell throughout a meal. We can be sitting all alone in a corner and as soon as we order, here they come right next to us.

The number one product of Killeen Texas is babies.. My wife calls them stepladder kids... You know, one every 9 months so they look like miniature clones of each successive generation.

It has gotten to the point where we do not readily go to dine out any more. The worst places for us are Rosas, and Cracker Barrel. Wal mart is a given for bad behavior. Especially at the checkout where they conveniently place all of the candy bars and small toys. It usually starts out as simple fussing, and then you hear "No...No" coming from the kid, then escalates into concentrated fussing and crying, soon to be followed by uncontrolled screaming. How the parent (there are seldom 2 of them with the kids) just sits there like they are in a soundproof booth.

We were pleasantly surprised when we saw a dad take his baby outside when she started into phase one last week. Doesn't happen very often.

As far as names... Who can tell any more. Like trying to figure out names in an NFL game. My wife always gets a kick whenever she hears Newt Gingrichs name and says "Who the heck names their kid Newt". Why, Mr. and Mrs. Gingrich I guess.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

12. Likes fchafey, Night Owl, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    My wife and I have this uncanny knack for drawing the kids who scream and yell throughout a meal. We can be sitting all alone in a corner and as soon as we order, here they come right next to us.

The number one product of Killeen Texas is babies.. My wife calls them stepladder kids... You know, one every 9 months so they look like miniature clones of each successive generation.

It has gotten to the point where we do not readily go to dine out any more. The worst places for us are Rosas, and Cracker Barrel. Wal mart is a given for bad behavior. Especially at the checkout where they conveniently place all of the candy bars and small toys. It usually starts out as simple fussing, and then you hear "No...No" coming from the kid, then escalates into concentrated fussing and crying, soon to be followed by uncontrolled screaming. How the parent (there are seldom 2 of them with the kids) just sits there like they are in a soundproof booth.

We were pleasantly surprised when we saw a dad take his baby outside when she started into phase one last week. Doesn't happen very often.

As far as names... Who can tell any more. Like trying to figure out names in an NFL game. My wife always gets a kick whenever she hears Newt Gingrichs name and says "Who the heck names their kid Newt". Why, Mr. and Mrs. Gingrich I guess.
    You know his full name is Newton Leroy Gingrich.....and after having heard that, well, never mind…..
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

14. LOL Night Owl, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryPrincess View Post
    Just got back from the grocery store and stood staring in shock at three kids with no adult in sight - at least not one that seemed repsonsible for them.
    The littlest one had crawled up on the shelf in front of the donuts and was handling them randomly.
    Sigh...
    I guess at least her head wasn't stuck in something.
    The woman who wrote the "Violent Acres" blog wrote a couple articles about such parenting. Unfortunately, someone Dox'ed her and she was harassed until she deleted those posts. She was offended that people would allow their children to run wild in stores, effectively raising them to be feral.

I am thankful that my parents didn't take the easy way out with me. I was quite demonic (much like the Demoncrats we see today) as a child, and they literally had to beat the devil out of me. It was a hard row. Had I been born in modern times, I would have been institutionalized.

As to questions raised in the original post:
    Most rotating restaurants have an outer ring of tables that don't move, and a "turntable" in the middle that rotates about once in five minutes. Most of the tables are on that "turntable." There is usually a moving railing encircling the turntable, to prevent anyone getting trapped between the moving and stationary tables. I would not be surprised if some genius took the railing out so they could have a few more tables, thus more profit.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    I figured this belonged here as it takes a real special parent to name their kid "Abcde".....what a moron.

From KHOU in Houston:

Mom: Southwest Airlines agent mocked 5-year-old girl's 'Abcde' name
    Traci Redford accused a gate agent at Orange County's John Wayne Airport of laughing at her daughter's name, Abcde.

SANTA ANA, Calif. — A woman says a Southwest Airlines agent in Southern California mocked her 5-year-old daughter's 'Abcde' name when they were preparing to board a flight home to Texas.
    KABC-TV reported late Wednesday that Traci Redford accused a gate agent at Orange County's John Wayne Airport of laughing at her daughter's name and posting a photo of her boarding pass on social media. The girl's name is spelled with the first five letters of the alphabet and is pronounced "AHB-sih-dee." Redford says the family was pre-boarding because her daughter has epilepsy. She says she asked the agent to stop and that someone saw the social media post and notified Southwest.
    Southwest issued a statement apologizing to the family. The airline says it has followed up with the employee.
    Making fun of the little girl's name, after she was boarded and gone would have been forgivable, but doing it in front of her was offensive and rude. Posting a picture of the boarding pass to social media should have been a firing offence. But then, we are talking about SW airlines, where the seat measurements are based on a NY Runway model's build.

As to the woman, if she did it so that the girl could learn her own name (if she had a learning disability) could be forgivable, but epilepsy? Sometimes that produces a learning disability, sometimes not, so I don't know.

I wouldn't have named her that, but I have done other things just as stupid.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast