Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Roy Williams get 925,000 in bonuses for NCAA tournament

Post Thanks / Like
    Separate topic but along the same lines of a paper I wrote a while back how many people enlist in the military for the love of their country today as opposed to January of 1942? I think you could make a similar argument but it's typically frowned upon so I won't.

2. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made the same remark 6 months or so post 911 when everyone had American flags pasted everywhere. My thought was "I wonder how long, this is going to be En Vogue?" I will tell you, most of the country has moved on of course, but up North, hell no. Kind of like those people that remark "The South Shall Rise Again". One could also say that these type of people are carrying on their own personal Haj's and that when one usually gets hit. I do see where you are coming from. I think.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onetime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA and NFL have minimum requirements, you have to be out of high school for one year in the NBA and three years for the NFL. These requirements are not in place for any other sport, I wonder what that is about (sarcasm). Someone wrote that most of these players go to college seeking the monetary payout that comes with it. I wonder if said person realizes that's kind of what 99 percent of the people are going to school for. Someone else wrote that they receive tutition and room and board, true, but we aren't talking playing hoops at tarleton state either. These schools make billions, yes billions of dollars from football and basketball, when you're playing at one of those institutes, Texas, A&M, LSU, ALAMBAMA, you're not exactly playing a collegiate sport. I don't think it's in poor taste that these players get some type of compensation.
    No matter what they were to get paid, it wouldn't be enough to satisfy the waaa waaa crowd.

I bet that the living conditions and food for the athletes is far better than for the schmuck having to take loans in order to get an education and actually study in order to pass.

On a side note, I say it's time for colleges to fund the loans for their education. Let them back up their product. That way, they have skin in the game and instead of providing safe spaces with play-doh and crayons, they'll provide classes that have some value once a student graduates. But that's another topic.

5. Likes Night Owl, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whereas Georgetown is a private university, no one should have an axe to grind with it except for the poor slobs who choose to matriculate there. It only costs them $48,611 for tuition and fees and when you add room and board the total cost of attendance is $66,971 for a year.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    The NBA and NFL have minimum requirements, you have to be out of high school for one year in the NBA and three years for the NFL. These requirements are not in place for any other sport, I wonder what that is about (sarcasm). Someone wrote that most of these players go to college seeking the monetary payout that comes with it. I wonder if said person realizes that's kind of what 99 percent of the people are going to school for. Someone else wrote that they receive tutition and room and board, true, but we aren't talking playing hoops at tarleton state either. These schools make billions, yes billions of dollars from football and basketball, when you're playing at one of those institutes, Texas, A&M, LSU, ALAMBAMA, you're not exactly playing a collegiate sport. I don't think it's in poor taste that these players get some type of compensation.
    They do get compensation but that's not enough is it?

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No matter what they were to get paid, it wouldn't be enough to satisfy the waaa waaa crowd.

I bet that the living conditions and food for the athletes is far better than for the schmuck having to take loans in order to get an education and actually study in order to pass.

On a side note, I say it's time for colleges to fund the loans for their education. Let them back up their product. That way, they have skin in the game and instead of providing safe spaces with play-doh and crayons, they'll provide classes that have some value once a student graduates. But that's another topic.
    Yes they do at major 10 universities, but again in what business organization will you find your most important labor piece with a relatively low price ceiling? Also why is it ok to side with the free market in one scenario but not on the other? Universities are in place to operate as a business, if that wasn't the case they'd provide refunds to freshman that dropout after the 1st semester. They reduce the cost for prep classes. They give out refunds if the credits you earned at a CC didn't transfer.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I hear that mess about those athletes that don't get paid..it makes me sick. What a load of crap...First, they get all of their tuition, many out of state, which of course is higher,...the best food you can imagine, in a special place to eat, three meals a day,...travel to places they would never have ever been able to go, ...experiences they would have never had the chance to have....stipends...and living in usually the best dorm (athletic) on campus...as well as getting special, preferential treatment, classes, and professors to help them stay eligible and graduate...I think an athletic scholarship to Baylor or TCU is worth about $200,000 dollars now. Those poor college athletes, I feel so bad for them....When I went to school, I had my schedule, with the chosen professors, lined up for me when I got there,... pencils, pens, notebooks, textbooks, all supplies,....I was given a tutor for help if and when I needed her, ....we ate in our own cafeteria (more like a nice restaurant), nice tables, high back chairs...all you could eat, at every meal ..everything you could imagine for breakfast,...great lunches, ..and during spring ball and the regular season we had steaks every single night, along with our choices of several other meats.......The athletes don't get "paid"?
    Last edited by sickofpc; April 4th, 2017 at 3:59 PM.

10. Thanks Rick thanked this post
    Likes fchafey, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Give them compensation that equals the scholarship, then take it back as tuition/room/book payment.

12. Likes Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Do you like college football and basketball? Do you watch the national championship game? I don't think the system will succeed much longer in its current structure, people are smarter. Again I'm not talking playing ball at Huston tiltson, I'm talking North Carolina basketball where your on Tv two to three times a week, they sell jerseys and t-shirts with your number and so on and so on. You'd probably actually know some of the players on the court if they went to that system because non lottery players may stay more than a year. I'm not talking an NBA salary either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you like college football and basketball? Do you watch the national championship game? I don't think the system will succeed much longer in its current structure, people are smarter. Again I'm not talking playing ball at Huston tiltson, I'm talking North Carolina basketball where your on Tv two to three times a week, they sell jerseys and t-shirts with your number and so on and so on. You'd probably actually know some of the players on the court if they went to that system because non lottery players may stay more than a year. I'm not talking an NBA salary either.
    So when is enough finally enough? They get paid a pretty good amount now, but it's still not enough is it? Why don't you set up a fund me account for all of them. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast