Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Beetles

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like

Japanese Beetles

These things are a nuisance, and I've sprayed and swatted without eradicating them. My pest control office says not to bother as they can't even get them out of their own office.

They look like orange lady bugs. My problem is the high ceiling where I can't reach them. Even the long-range wasp spray doesn't kill all of them. Anyone?
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    What you descried isn't a Japanese Beetle but rather the Asian Lady Beetle. The best way to get rid of them on your ceiling is to vacuum them up. In your closets put some moth balls or camphor. Those things don't like string odors.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

3. Thanks Grammar Rules thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you vacuum the ceiling????
    Whether Japanese Beetles or Asian Lady Beetles, somehow they got into your house. These beetles are, I think, what we used to call Lady Bugs.
    Where I grew up in Ohio they would be real pests in the summer. I remember my father purchased a few Japanese Beetle traps and put them
    outside around the yard. I don't know if these traps are even made anymore. They would hang from a slender iron pole that was pushed into
    the ground. The beetles could get in but couldn't get out, and after a day or so just died.
    The attached article might help: http://www.orkin.com/other/beetles/l...-lady-beetles/
    Last edited by CenTexDave; February 7th, 2017 at 9:59 AM.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, thanks! I'll call Orkin and don't care what it costs. I used Bell County Pest Control previously to get rid of mice, and it was their secretary who said they couldn't help.

My ceiling is vaulted, and vacuuming it is not an option without scaffolding.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

6. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The use of a nice shotgun gets to those hard to reach places....
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

8. LOL CenTexDave, Night Owl, Grammar Rules LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dave, thanks! I'll call Orkin and don't care what it costs. I used Bell County Pest Control previously to get rid of mice, and it was their secretary who said they couldn't help.

My ceiling is vaulted, and vacuuming it is not an option without scaffolding.
    These beetles get in my house once in a while, but few and far between to it's easy to just pick it up and throw it outside.
    Note that they do not respond to aerosol spraying much - in other words you are wasting $ and stinking up your house, although a bug spray/bomb once or
    twice a year definitely would take care of any fleas or roaches that might get inside your house. Those kind you set off and walk away work good, just put newspaper
    or an old rag under it wherever you set it down. I usually do the entire house at once - start in the back bedrooms and work into the den, dining room, living room then
    kitchen, and abandon ship for a couple of hours. A couple years ago I set about 7 of these off in all the rooms and started hearing scuffling footsteps in the attic area.
    Looked out the back porch and a raccoon with its baby clinging to it emerged from a small piece of aluminum siding and climbed all the way down the chimney and went
    into the woods behind the house and down the hill. Never came back and I sealed the hole where it got in.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

10. Likes fchafey, Grammar Rules liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These things are a nuisance, and I've sprayed and swatted without eradicating them. My pest control office says not to bother as they can't even get them out of their own office.

They look like orange lady bugs. My problem is the high ceiling where I can't reach them. Even the long-range wasp spray doesn't kill all of them. Anyone?
    I hear they taste like chicken.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

12. LOL CenTexDave, sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These bad boys are almost impossible to get rid of
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JapBeetleLifeCycle.jpg  
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

14. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those grubs that grow into beetles, especially the June bugs, are a pain. Used to be diazinon worked real good - spread it and water into the lawn.
    But thanks to our friendly EPA, the potency had to be seriously curtailed. I don't know what to use on them now. I'm just thankful I haven't had
    a problem with those things in a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty much a lawn and garden geek, if a you get the grubs this year go to your local feed store they have 50 and 80 pound bags of cornmeal yes cornmeal the type you use in the kitchen, just throw the cornmeal the same way you would fertilizer the grub worms will eat it and in about 3 to 4 days you will see them popping up out of the grass they cannot digest the cornmeal they pretty much just blow up.
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

17. Likes CenTexDave, Night Owl liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast