Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Door Opener Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Door Opener Problems

Hey y'all, I recently moved into a house with a Genie garage door opener. I'm trying to program the outside control box where you input your code and the garage door opens. When I go press the program button on the main unit to sync it with the outside control box and I type in my door code - the program light on the main unit doesn't stop blinking. To me this indicates that they aren't talking to each other. Anyone ever have to deal with this before? Here's the steps as a refresher:

Type 357 and press "Prog"
    Type the new security number and press "Prog" again

Go to the main unit and press the program button - light will start blinking
    Go to control box, type new security number, and press up/dwn button - light will remain solid
    Press up/dwn again - light will go off
    Type security number and press up/dwn - door should work

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a problem with mine because the battery in my control box was low. ( I did not even know it had a battery) good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    If you press the learn button a tad too long it erases everything. You might try removing the outside box and walk it closer to the control unit for programming. Also the outside unit might have succumbed to time, weather and use. Genie is a pretty good brand and I know Lowe's carries Genie parts, at least they used to.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by just2cents View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a problem with mine because the battery in my control box was low. ( I did not even know it had a battery) good luck
    You should get an annoying beep when the battery is low. They normally last 2-3 years and for about 40 dollars at battery's plus you get a replacement. If you live in an area where the power goes out kind of frequently, then it is nice to have the ability to open the garage door. The kids opted to remove their battery, I believe they did it just to poke at me.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    You should get an annoying beep when the battery is low. They normally last 2-3 years and for about 40 dollars at battery's plus you get a replacement. If you live in an area where the power goes out kind of frequently, then it is nice to have the ability to open the garage door. The kids opted to remove their battery, I believe they did it just to poke at me.
    Sorry I was not clear. I was speaking of the 9V in the outside key pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the problem, Jeremy, is it's a Genie unit. When I bought this house it was the type installed, and for the next year or so had a lot of trouble with it. A quick call to Killeen Overhead Doors and for less than $300
    had a LiftMaster installed. That was in early 1986. It finally died two years ago, but another phone call and another $300 and had another LiftMaster installed.

whoa!!! You moved? Where to? You still make housecalls for lawnmower maintenance?
    Last edited by CenTexDave; February 1st, 2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

7. Likes Shotgun Jeremy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by just2cents View Post
    Wow!! They're just making this stuff as difficult as they can, huh.

If you press the learn button a tad too long it erases everything. You might try removing the outside box and walk it closer to the control unit for programming. Also the outside unit might have succumbed to time, weather and use. Genie is a pretty good brand and I know Lowe's carries Genie parts, at least they used to.
    I don't think I pressed it too long...just short taps. I wouldn't even know how to remove the outside box.

Would the garage door still work even without that battery working? It works with the house powered up, but I remember it didn't work back when the house didn't have power. Would that be a sign of the battery being bad?

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    Well, the problem, Jeremy, is it's a Genie unit. When I bought this house it was the type installed, and for the next year or so had a lot of trouble with it. A quick call to Killeen Overhead Doors and for less than $300
    had a LiftMaster installed. That was in early 1986. It finally died two years ago, but another phone call and another $300 and had another LiftMaster installed.

whoa!!! You moved? Where to? You still make housecalls for lawnmower maintenance?
    I don't know that I'm quite ready to dump money in a whole new system just yet. I think when I do, I'm going to try and get a belt drive and eventually an insulated door. That's still quite some time down the road though.

Yea, I can still come by. I'm over in Morse Valley now, so you're still easy for me to get to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Recommendation, my friend - those belt drive units are quieter than the chain types, but belts stretch.
    Get a Lift Master or Chamberlain - both made by the same company.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

10. Thanks Shotgun Jeremy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had the same problem with mine a few years back and went on line to get the right instruction manual and actually read what it said. When the instructions were actually followed, it reprogrammed as stated. I copied an abbreviated section on reprogramming the door prompts and hung I up in the garage so my feeble memory could say "Oh, I've done this before and there hang the instructions by golly".

My remotes have had to have batteries replaced about every 3 years or so, but my car has a remote powered by the car battery. All of them remember the code even when the battery is disconnected. And my garage door device is wired to the house electrical. There is a manual opening ability if power goes out.

About the only game changer is when the black spring breaks... then it takes a weight lifter to get the damn thing open.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

12. Thanks Shotgun Jeremy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The outside box should slide up and off. The back up battery is in the main unit if it has one. ST is right though a google to find the right manual is priceless. Here is one queertron to consider. Today's door openers are on a rolling code. If a neighbor has replaced their opener with a Genie and they hit the button driving by your house to theirs it could screw up your door. This happened to my wife while I was deployed and luckily the guy Killeen Overhead Door sent out was sharp and he figured that out instead of replacing the fancy indoor unit on the wall. It hasn't happened but once since 2011.
    John Daly

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast