Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Garage Door Opener Problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Recommendation, my friend - those belt drive units are quieter than the chain types, but belts stretch.
    Get a Lift Master or Chamberlain - both made by the same company.
    seems like the only time I need to replace the garage doors is when one of my daughters screws up or, even worse, one of the sons in law who are, be definition, idiots any way fouls one of 'em up.......anyway, if i have to replace again, i think i'll get one of those screw drives....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait for my 30-year-old Lift Master to give up the ghost. We never use the front door of our house to gain entry. We come in through the garage. Because of the mess we have in the garage, we cannot leave the door open. As a result, that door goes up and down about ten times a day. We have gone through two torsion springs and a door, but the Lift Master just keeps on keeping on. If I ever replace it, it will be with a screw-drive system for the silence and the security.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

3. Thanks Shotgun Jeremy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot... my Craftsman opener is so old the serial numbers are in Roman Numerals.

When I got my new insulated, wood look doors, I asked the guy if he was going to swap out the opener and he told me that the one I had would probably last another 15 years...
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

5. Likes Shotgun Jeremy liked this post
    LOL Shotgun Jeremy LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Shoot... my Craftsman opener is so old the serial numbers are in Roman Numerals.

When I got my new insulated, wood look doors, I asked the guy if he was going to swap out the opener and he told me that the one I had would probably last another 15 years...
    a lot of folks think those of us who own, buy and use Craftsman tools are nuts but i've had real good luck with Craftsman. Come to think of it, I still have a J.C. Higgins .30-.30 and .22 rifle in the cabinet that are in excellent shape and they've had the shat shot out of 'em.......the NRA has told me that the .30 .30 was made by Marlin and the .22 by Hi Standard.....I think that Stanly Black and Decker has either bought the Craftsman name or are buying it real soon...mac
    Last edited by mac; February 1st, 2017 at 8:38 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    The outside box should slide up and off. The back up battery is in the main unit if it has one. ST is right though a google to find the right manual is priceless. Here is one queertron to consider. Today's door openers are on a rolling code. If a neighbor has replaced their opener with a Genie and they hit the button driving by your house to theirs it could screw up your door. This happened to my wife while I was deployed and luckily the guy Killeen Overhead Door sent out was sharp and he figured that out instead of replacing the fancy indoor unit on the wall. It hasn't happened but once since 2011.
    I did read about that rolling code thing, but supposedly that's the old style system and the new ones don't work that way. Either way, I found the code that resets it back to the first system style and that didn't work, so then I put in the code that resets it back to the current system.

I'll go look into the online manual though. Keep the ideas coming, y'all!

I didn't realize there were screw drives or the benefits to them. That sounds like a much better way to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    ...I think that Stanly Black and Decker has either bought the Craftsman name or are buying it real soon...mac
    Yes, Sears sold their Craftsman line to Black & Decker. BTW: Black & Decker is the cheaper, for home-use, brand of the industrial-strength DeWalt.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

9. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seldom buy any Craftsman or B and D electric tools. Every time I have, the motors have burned out within 6 months of use. Especially their lawn tools.

I will use Makita for most electronic tools any more. They seem to last a lot longer.

What I really want to buy is a nice Tig welder that runs on house voltage....
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    I seldom buy any Craftsman or B and D electric tools. Every time I have, the motors have burned out within 6 months of use. Especially their lawn tools.

I will use Makita for most electronic tools any more. They seem to last a lot longer.

What I really want to buy is a nice Tig welder that runs on house voltage....
    all TIGs run on house voltage......everlast and primeweld both make good ones....mac

12. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    I did read about that rolling code thing, but supposedly that's the old style system and the new ones don't work that way. Either way, I found the code that resets it back to the first system style and that didn't work, so then I put in the code that resets it back to the current system.

I'll go look into the online manual though. Keep the ideas coming, y'all!

I didn't realize there were screw drives or the benefits to them. That sounds like a much better way to go!
    I can't figure out why they ever thought a "rolling code" was a good idea.
    Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol is the only way to go (as long as both ends trust each other), and it has been around at least since the 80's, in one form or another.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless there's another battery somewhere else, this one has no battery in it to replace. Any other ideas?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast