Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Texas BBQ Road Trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was #1 on the list.
    AND (imho) highly overrated....
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry Black's in Austin across from the Palmer Theater is just as good as going all the way to Lockhart. They also have another place on Guadalupe, same family and just as good as the other 2. We ate at the other 2 places in Lockhart (Kruez and Chisholm's) and they weren't any big deal, to us.

The other interesting thing about the Driftwood Salt Lick is the fact they are grandfathered in to still use the "wet mop" sauce applicator, that is basically just an old towel tied to a short stick. Part of the allure and flavor that is for sure.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    AND (imho) highly overrated....
    Never been there, so I can't say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never been there, so I can't say.
    it's a great drive, especially during spring and fall....and even more so if you drive out by your place......but that's the hi-lite of the whole Llano thing. Truthfully, rudy's right here in town has better ribs. btw, this prime rib that rudy's has added to their menu and is selling on fridays, saturdays and sundays is really really really good.....and they're not stingy with it either!.....but you gotta get there quick to get it before they run out.......get the end cuts for medium or well, and center cuts for medium rare....mac
    Last edited by mac; January 3rd, 2017 at 1:59 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    it's a great drive, especially during spring and fall....and even more so if you drive out by your place......but that's the hi-lite of the whole Llano thing. Truthfully, rudy's right here in town has better ribs. btw, this prime rib that rudy's has added to their menu and is selling on fridays, saturdays and sundays is really really really good.....and they're not stingy with it either!.....but you gotta get there quick to get it before they run out.......get the end cuts for medium or well, and center cuts for medium rare....mac
    Some have high standards for BBQ and rudys is on the low, low end. Their stuff is nasty.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

6. Thanks Rick, gvls78 thanked this post
    Likes sickofpc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A couple of places I'd like to try...Night Owl is buying!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Some have high standards for BBQ and rudys is on the low, low end. Their stuff is nasty.
    well, that's prob'ly true but then I eat a lot of nasty stuff........want a bucket of crawdads?......got some limburger out in the shop frig......ever et hog jowels or bull tongue?..........back on the farm, Dad said the only thing he couldn't sell on a hog was the cheeks and the oink......consequently we et a lot of cheeks back then,......mac
    Last edited by mac; January 3rd, 2017 at 5:14 PM.

9. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave, Night Owl, madasheck LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of places I'd like to try...Night Owl is buying!
    I have a granddaughter who lives, works and goes to school down there. She swears by the "Iron Works".....she agrees with Owl concerning Rudy's.....but still, I notice she holds her own and represents herself pretty damned well when we go over there or bring some of it home....and doesn't seem to complain 'till we're all stuffed....mac
    Last edited by mac; January 3rd, 2017 at 5:25 PM.

11. LOL madasheck LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the Iron Works are worth a stop... if only for the Beef Ribs which I rarely find elsewhere.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    The very best BBQ in the state...especially the ribs....the Country Tavern in Kilgore. The ribs are unbelievable...I am usually not a big rib eater, but I am there. ..If you are ever in the area, go to Canton Trades Days, or whatever, try it if you possibly can....If you do eat there, you will always compare everything else to the Country Tavern. It's that good.

14. Likes fchafey liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast