Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy Hanukkah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy Hanukkah

In case you missed it because you use an app....

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Grammar Rules thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baruch atah, Adonai Eloheinu, Melech haolam, asher kidshanu bmitzvotav vtsivanu lhadlik ner shel Hanukkah.

May your dreidel always display gimmel.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

4. LOL Grammar Rules LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the Asian Buffet yesterday, I had to chuckle, no Jews. Back east that's all that would have been in the Chinese restaurants.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the Asian Buffet yesterday, I had to chuckle, no Jews
    How could you tell?......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    They werent wearing them Isreali Cowboy hats.
    Last edited by fchafey; December 26th, 2016 at 10:53 AM.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

8. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those hat are only worn by Orthodox Jews and those are very rare to see outside Dallas and Houston. Most Texas Jews are of the Reform variety and you cannot tell them from the Baptists or Catholics. I know of no Asian style restaurant which is certified as Kosher so I doubt that even in Houston or Dallas you would find those hats in an Asian style restaurant.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those hat are only worn by Orthodox Jews and those are very rare to see outside Dallas and Houston. Most Texas Jews are of the Reform variety and you cannot tell them from the Baptists or Catholics. I know of no Asian style restaurant which is certified as Kosher so I doubt that even in Houston or Dallas you would find those hats in an Asian style restaurant.
    those hats you're talkin' 'bout aren't, by any chance, made by Stetson or Resistol, are they......I used to wear my Amish hat just for the hell of it but someone stole it.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

11. LOL Grammar Rules LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm talking about a basic Black Fedora style. I believe they are also used by the Mennonites and the Amish, along with the Orthodox Jews.
    BlackFedora.jpg

They look like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    And I was talking about the Yarmulke. As for eating Chinese food on Christmas here is a brief history:

The trend started in New York. Jews, Chinese and other immigrants from all over the world arrived in the latter part of the 19th century, Ken Albala, professor of history and chair of Food Studies at University of the Pacific's San Francisco campus told Mic. Most Jews moved to the Lower East Side in Manhattan, right below Chinatown, and intermingling was natural, especially with both groups equally passionate about cuisine. Eventually Jews spread out across the different boroughs of New York as did the Chinese restaurants, making it about proximity in addition to togetherness.

“So it was always a matter of proximity,” Albala explained. “And then, what's the only restaurant open on Christmas?” There was always a Chinese restaurant ready to dole out General Tso's on a Christian holiday. A tradition was born.”

Dietary restrictions also played a part. Jewish law restricts mixing milk and meat, and Chinese food is usually devoid of dairy. And although pork and shellfish, also restricted, are star ingredients in many a Chinese dish, the meat is diced and fried to the point that it becomes just kosher enough for at least the REFORM Jew. Chinese food is also just delicious.
    John Daly

14. LOL Grammar Rules LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not call a Yarmulke a hat.

I understand the mindset. If I can't recognize it as forbidden, then it's not.

When we were in Israel a couple of years ago, we spotted a Kosher McDonalds. Our guide told us that there were several in country and some other fast-food places as well. Each of them had a Rebe to ensure that they served the proper foods. That's a good way to put some of those Hassidim, who don't work in Israel, to good use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast