Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Week 11 Games

Post Thanks / Like
    Fun night? This has got to be the weakest group of playoff teams this district has ever produced. Midway might win a playoff game; the other
    3 will be an embarrassing one and done.
    By the way - Belton will demolish Cove. Talked to a couple of "half knowledgeable fans" yesterday and they told me that "their kid" stated
    the team has quit.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. Saddened by fchafey is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three or four years ago when the district was paired with the Desoto-Cedar Hill district, they were swept out... embarrassingly so. I wouldn't sleep on any of them in the bi-district, upsets happen.

I think Belton will demolish Cove as well. You could see the air come out of Cove last week when Killeen went up 14-3. The second half was flat and the play calling was horrendous on both sides of the ball. At least the Cove seniors will suit out and play unlike the Shoe's.

Post Thanks / Like
    And that's what I've been saying for years - Cove's play calling is terrible. The OC is Welch's brother. Well, Jack, time to step up and kick your brother's butt
    to the side and take over.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So here's where we stand going into tonight :

Clinched and in the playoffs: Midway, Heights (even with a loss , they own all of the tiebreakers in all the scenarios)
    Out: Shoemaker, Ellison

Belton- 1. Win and in. 2. Lose and Killeen loses, in as they hold the head to head over Killeen. 3. Lose and Killeen wins, out as Heights owns H2H, Cove owns H2H.
    Killeen - 1. Win and in 2. Lose and Belton wins, in. 3. Lose and Cove wins, need Cove to win by 9 or less.
    Cove - 1. Win and Killeen wins, in , as they would hold the H2H against Belton. 2. Win by more than 10 and Killeen loses, would be in on point differential.

That covers it. Should be a fun night of football.
    Wow!! Shoemaker and Ellison. Two of the teams that were thought to have a chance to make the playoffs this year are the first two to be eliminated from the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RooDawg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow!! Shoemaker and Ellison. Two of the teams that were thought to have a chance to make the playoffs this year are the first two to be eliminated from the playoffs.
    OH, if only we still did it the old fashion way. When winners went to the playoffs. Win district and you advanced. Place second and you went home, but we have allowed the 'gotta make all kids feel good' crowd to take over. Pathetic.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

7. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two from each district to the playoffs and no more than that. Big school/small school format. This insanity of feel good PC crap is ridiculous. Show me where any team
    with a losing record won a state championship. Waste of money and everybody's time.

9. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on the need to eliminate the big school/small school format. If there is so much of a despairity in school sizes then maybe UIL should either create the super conference that they have discussed and only play an 8 game season OR realign the student cut offs for each level that more closely aligns.

I'd also be in favor of the top two in the district advancing versus the top 4 or the district champ plus the next ranked 32 (8 from each region). The issue with the regional rankings would be a region like ours , region 1, which goes from El Paso to DFW to Central Texas. No way you get an accurate assessment.

As for Cove's play calling, I will say that they do not go with what works. For example, with Heights you know if they run a play and get positive yardage that they are going to run it again. Saw the same thing with Killeen, Ellison, and Midway (the Shoe...who knows?) Cove runs a good play and seems to forget it and never go back to it. Majority of their issues is at the QB level and decision making. Defensively, they don't have a scheme to stop the run. I saw them against Heights and Killeen and you could run the same play on repeat for 10-15 yards every time. They also don't have very good zone coverage.... I just realized that they are going to get blasted tonight while typing this. On the upside, they do have some athletes.

11. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cove simply doesn't have the caliber of athletes they had a few years ago. From what I've read, both JV teams are very good and same with the freshmen teams and the teams at the junior highs. So another
    year or two and they may get back to what everyone has come to expect.
    While I do understand that an undefeated JV team does not equate to success at the varsity level, I remember back circa 2005 Cove's JV played Euless Trinity. Don't know how that schedule ended up happening as
    the varsity did not play Euless. Was probably a far away game for the varsity like Odessa, etc, so the JV played closer. The Dawgs' JV blew them off the field. This was Euless Trinity - one of the best programs in
    the state at the time. Trinity's coach said after the game he had never seen a JV team as good as that one. In this case the JV team went onto great things at the varsity level - two state championship games.
    And at the time, that JV team had two huge freshmen/soph stars who were on the varsity - RG3 and Tanner Brock.

13. Likes fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cove gonna be sitting at home next weekend: Belton-35, Cove-21 half time.

Post Thanks / Like
    OOps, sorry. I posted the above after Belton took over on downs at their own 20 with 1:11 left in the half. Figured they would just take a knee and run out the clock.
    Not so.
    New halftime score: 42-21 Belton.
    But don't worry - Welch always states he has the best defensive coordinator in the state so I'm sure he'll make halftime adjustments and we'll be just fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast