Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs vs Indians

Post Thanks / Like
    What that stupid graph the networks use does not show is if any part of the ball crosses any part of the plate at any time. If it does, it's a strike.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alert - MLB has moved the game up by one hour because of the possibility of rain later this evening.
    A rain out would definitely help Cleveland - give Kluber another day of rest and he could get three starts.
    I'm still worried about Cleveland's sluggers - Mike Napoli hasn't done much of anything the past two months, and
    Carlos Santana hasn't either. Need these two to start hitting. Can't expect Perez to keep producing homers like
    he did last night.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if any part of the ball crosses any part of the plate at any time. If it does, it's a strike.
    or, at least, should be called a strike....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

4. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    What that stupid graph the networks use does not show is if any part of the ball crosses any part of the plate at any time. If it does, it's a strike.
    Partly true. The ball must also be between the knees and the letters as it crosses the plate, also known as the strike zone. The strike zone is different for ever player and is also different depending on the height of the umpire calling balls and strikes. A 6 foot tall umps strike zone is different than a 5'7" ump.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

6. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Partly true. The ball must also be between the knees and the letters as it crosses the plate, also known as the strike zone
    what part of the letters? the top? the bottom?

can the batter legally increase or decrease the size of the zone by using his posture, changing his stance ie, crouching etc?.....mac
    Last edited by mac; October 26th, 2016 at 2:56 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post

can the batter increase or decrease the size of the zone by using his posture, changing his stance ie, crouching etc?.....mac
    who decides whether the letters should go across the nipples or the belly button?.,....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    who decides whether the letters should go across the nipples or the belly button?.,....mac
    According to rule 2.00 of the Major League Baseball rule book, a strike zone is defined as: "that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap" and is determined by "the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball." But, what umpires actually judge to be the strike zone is different, and varies between umpires. The key is that the umpire should remain consistent in his/her calls without regard to the team at bat.
    Last edited by Ludwig; October 26th, 2016 at 3:10 PM.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tonight's lineup. Coco Crisp is playing tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the questions my wife and I have had this year was do the umpire have to undergo any sort of peer review.

The strike zone this season has been a mystery in almost every game I have seen. Only twice this year have I seen a consistent ump. And I bet I have watched 200 games or more. Not just a series issue, but a baseball wide issue.

It would seem to me that there should be some way for professional umpires at that level to be subject to periodic review for their calls and to see if they are consistent. Not sour grapes here, as the calls can go wither way... and usually do. But the batter can become very confused when the zone seems to move all over the place.

The magic box that the media uses are fairly consistent at all times, and I have noticed that ESPN tends to use them when there is a questionable call while FOX and a few others are always putting them up for almost every pitch.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

can the batter legally increase or decrease the size of the zone by using his posture, changing his stance ie, crouching etc?.....mac
    Yes he can and it's been done. I remember when Bill Veeck once had a midget/dwarf as a pinch hitter.
    Last edited by CenTexDave; October 26th, 2016 at 3:45 PM.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast