Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Week 7 Games

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I've previously said - I am not a big Welch fan because he keeps this same Defensive Coordinator year after year after year and the Dawgs haven't had a good defense for years. You can't always ring up 50+ to
    assure a win. And frequently when they do the defensive gives up 51+.
    Preparation? Sure they do, as do most.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure about the Dawgs defense, but the Eagles D is spotty at best. They have a lot of talent, and are really giving it an effort, but they have their moments.

I attribute a lot of that to the coaches being able to scout out the other guys offensive tactics. If the Eagles have not done their homework, they may not get a very good grade on Friday night. I am only hoping someone has been taking notes.

One other thing I did notice in a program last week was the number of seniors that both teams have on them and wondering about continuity next year. Always a concern for a fan.
    Their defense is alright..the classic "bend don't break" type of defense. They seem to make defensive stands when they need to. With an offense like that, they don't have to be spectacular.

Post Thanks / Like
    True... What I have noticed in the defense is that when their opponents seem to be sticking to a certain type of offense, they don't seem to make any adjustments until after half time.

During the Shumaker game the Wolves were running the ball up the middle or slightly to a right side shift almost every play and the Eagles did not defend against it until the 3rd quarter. Once they did, it forced the Wolves to air the ball out more and gave the Eagles bit of a leg up on the situation.

Situational adjustments should not have to wait until halftime. And if they do it seems to me that the coaching staff is not very fast on its feet in a fluid situation.

Their offense seems to be able to react a lot faster to defensive tactics however, and that gives them their usual 1st half high scoring runs.

Guess we will have to wait and see. I am sweating this one though... especially after last weeks squeaker over the Wolves.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. LOL sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    Saddened by sickofpc is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you guys noticed the difference in scores in the Big Ten and Big 12?...the difference in scores in Texas high school football in today's world, the length of games? ...The spread offense, used by the Big 12, and most Texas high schoools now, is pretty much like Six Man football, flag football or two hand touch...Defenses aren't going to look very good, generally speaking. Just ask Vance Bedford. ...Ellison is potent, offensively, no doubt. I am a little concerned when I see University's offense and Shoemaker's offense be very prolific against the Eagles as they were. ...ST, FYI, those defensive, and offensive, coaches in the press box and on the sidelines are making adjustments every single play of the game. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't....I'm pretty sure the coaches tell the QB's not to throw Ints, the running backs not to fumble, and the offensive linemen to hold their blocks, but....players are going to make mistakes..even when they are put in the right positions with the right schemes...offensively and defensively...Those coaches spend hours, and hours, and hours on the field with their players, hours in the film room, in the weight room. They usually pretty much know what they are trying to do and who can do what.
    Last edited by sickofpc; October 6th, 2016 at 7:50 AM.

6. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, sure have. Ohio State is averaging 57 points per game.
    I also have noted how well Big 12 teams have fared recently, especially Oklahoma's putrid semi-final game against Clemson.
    If Clemson figured out how to stop them, then others should too.
    I watched Michigan-Wisconsin last Saturday. Can you say DEFENSE??? Have to admit, though, it was kind of boring.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

8. Likes fchafey liked this post
    LOL sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appears jack Welch found his defense tonight

10. LOL sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep... I left at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Welch did his homework and the Eagles passing game was zilch tonight. The first pass of the game was intercepted and all the air went out of the balloon.

Good job dawgs... Good win all the way around.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

12. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cove was ready to play, evidently Ellison was not. Don't know whether it had anything to do with Homecoming, but I know some coaches don't like big games at Homecoming because of the distractions ....Cove just outplayed the Eagles last night, in all areas of the game.
    Last edited by sickofpc; October 7th, 2016 at 7:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I counseled Jack on the need to make changes to his defense. Paid off I guess.
    Actually, they did make a few changes - moved some players around and had a couple of the kids playing both ways.
    Still lots of football to be played.

15. LOL sickofpc LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, what the Dawgs defense did very well was to rush the quarterback. One of Robinsons biggest threats is that when given a few seconds, he finds someone open, and if not he runs the ball himself. That did not happen last night because the CC defensive rush went through the Eagles offensive line like crap through a goose. Most of the time he wound up running around in the backfield trying to escape, and then getting sacked. Ergo only 12 first downs for the entire game.

CC, on the other hand, knew the weak spots on the Eagle defensive line and got a lot of success by simply running the ball up the middle every play. The old Buddy McBride offense, and it worked for a lot of yardage.

17. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast