Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dog Training

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad that the dog had to lose his life due to a child not being supervised and following rules that she was supposedly taught.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

2. Thanks fchafey, siamcat thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've trained bird dogs, both pointers and setters, and actually it was easy to do. They are just born with certain characteristics and instincts. Some are better than others, of course.......I love German Shepherds. They are easy to train, brave, intelligent, loyal, protective(all different to some degree), and very family oriented. I have always trained my own, which is very easy to do with a GS.....From my experience with dogs and horses, knowing how important the characteristics of certain breeds are, I would never have a Pit or a Doberman. Pits, especially, can turn at anytime, no matter how they were raised and loved. They were bred for certain characteristics..just like quarter horses, poodles, labs, and every other kind of domestic animal...Didn't a pit attack and kill a 10 year old boy, that was sitting on the couch, when he was attacked several years ago in Killeen? The dog had been raised since it was a puppy, and had never shown any hint of aggressiveness before the incident, but something triggered the dog....Generally speaking, obedience classes teach and train the owners of a dog as much as if not more than the dog. Highly specialized classes for certain breeds are different, tho.

4. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sad that the dog had to lose his life due to a child not being supervised and following rules that she was supposedly taught.
    Sadly dumb dogs are easier to train than some children... but just as a dog does not train well with a bad trainer, children don't train well with bad parents... parents who care more for themselves than their children.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

6. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I saw one of the local dog daycare places advertising dog training. If there is one in Killeen, I think it was on WS young or Trimmier somewhere.

My wife and I ran across it when we were trying to find a place to board our dog when we visit our daughter in Fla. In November.

If not, I bet a local vet or kennel would know of someone.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    I think I saw one of the local dog daycare places advertising dog training. If there is one in Killeen, I think it was on WS young or Trimmier somewhere.

My wife and I ran across it when we were trying to find a place to board our dog when we visit our daughter in Fla. In November.

Thanks. We have a vet appointment on Friday and I was planning on asking. I called the one place in Nolanville and I was not impressed. Since their trainings are indoors and they disinfect before each class they didn't think it was necessary for the puppy to be completely vaccinated. The response was "the puppy class is specifically for those that are not fully vaccinated yet." I disagree with that and will not risk his health.

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    I've trained bird dogs, both pointers and setters, and actually it was easy to do. They are just born with certain characteristics and instincts. Some are better than others, of course.......I love German Shepherds. They are easy to train, brave, intelligent, loyal, protective(all different to some degree), and very family oriented. I have always trained my own, which is very easy to do with a GS.....From my experience with dogs and horses, knowing how important the characteristics of certain breeds are, I would never have a Pit or a Doberman. Pits, especially, can turn at anytime, no matter how they were raised and loved. They were bred for certain characteristics..just like quarter horses, poodles, labs, and every other kind of domestic animal...Didn't a pit attack and kill a 10 year old boy, that was sitting on the couch, when he was attacked several years ago in Killeen? The dog had been raised since it was a puppy, and had never shown any hint of aggressiveness before the incident, but something triggered the dog....Generally speaking, obedience classes teach and train the owners of a dog as much as if not more than the dog. Highly specialized classes for certain breeds are different, tho.
    Wow! Great posting. Thanx, PC.....I thought you meant German Shorthairs when you first typed "shepherds" but then realized you were just moving on from field or utility dogs to companion dogs......good post, concur with every word....(of course as you know, the shorthairs are a little bit more temperamental and hardheaded than the shepherds.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post

that place down there at the end of ann blvd (or very near) in HH will do it for you and prob'ly as cheaply as you can get it done in this town(s).....but yeow, that place on WS Young will get her done for you too.....just above the mall a block or two....on the right.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    Thanks. We have a vet appointment on Friday and I was planning on asking. I called the one place in Nolanville and I was not impressed. Since their trainings are indoors and they disinfect before each class they didn't think it was necessary for the puppy to be completely vaccinated. The response was "the puppy class is specifically for those that are not fully vaccinated yet." I disagree with that and will not risk his health.
    if you're talkin' 'bout 'kennel cough' (bordetella), you're absolutely right, XZ, don't skip it or you'll regret it.....mac
    Last edited by mac; September 14th, 2016 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    if you're talkin' 'bout 'kennel cough' (bordetella), you're absolutely right, XZ, don't skip it or you'll regret it.....mac
    Kennel cough isn't a big concern, it won't kill a puppy. I'm more concerned about Parvo.

BOYCOTT

13. Likes FieryPrincess liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. My dad felt as serious about staying on the puppy vaccination schedule (because of parvo) as he did about not screwing around with the IRS. If you've ever had to see a dog with parvo, it's just heartbreaking!
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

15. Likes xzochye liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast