Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dog Training

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    actually, in my experience and i've never been w/o a dog or so....even in combat zones, the worst breeds are the old line purebreds....look at what's happened to the irish setter.......ruined a real pity....had a great english setter once, beautiful dog, blood lines back to the crusades......BUT a basket of nerves, most high strung dog i've ever had.....loved to hunt......but had to give her up....couldn't keep her round rambunctious kids. yep, the worst are the old line pure bloods and the best are curs, feists, mongrels and some of the newer purebreds. i'm currently the property of a damned good jack russel and blackfaced mountain cur.....mac
    There has been a lot of consternation about border collies making it into AKC. They used to be bred for their brains. The fear is that breeding them for a specific look will ruin the brains. Alaska mushing dogs look like mongrels because there is no specific look they are looking for. They are looking for a drive and desire more then an appearance. Also, they used to really want the huge powerful mushing dogs (think Call of the Wild and the fact that Buck was a BIG dog). Nowadays, the best mushing dogs are about 50 pounds of lanky running-ness.

I think the perfect dog would be a Lab/Rott crossbreed, but so many places won't allow even half-Rotts. Mostly I've had lab/collie crosses.

My mom's chihuahua is a little monster. I despise the little rat.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

2. LOL CenTexDave, sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dachshunds are a great breed. They are all about wanting to cuddle.

Pitbulls have a bad rap because they have earned it. Wouldn't have one, but some people swear by them. Not in my house. Never know when they will turn.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

4. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pits and all other breeds are just like people there are bad ones and there are good ones. A lot of it has to do with how they are raised and treated. I have been around pitties most of my life and have never come across an aggressive one. Of course they have had awesome parents that spend time with them and train them. I am perfectly happy with my little blue and green eyed beauty!

Now back to the original question...Has anyone worked with any good trainers in the area? I am willing to go from Waco to North Austin. The trainer that I used for my Red Border Collie mix is no longer working.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14212772_10153863921418803_8304916665434727281_n.jpg  
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

6. Likes fchafey, siamcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know anyone. Have trained my own puppies and it shows.

8. LOL xzochye, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How adorable.

We had a black lab/pitbull mix that was a sweetie.

He only growled and barked at people walking by the house he didn't like. He loved the mailman and the Schwann's guy. We would have him out front and he would stay in our yard.

We raised him from a puppy and made sure he was well trained since he was a big dog. Leash training took some work but as he got older my husband would walk him off leash after dark and he would stay by his side other then sniffing bushes and stuff.

10. Likes xzochye, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    You really don't know what your talking about at all do you?
    well, maybe not but I do not what stats say and what my lyin' eyes have seen and i've got way too many ggrandkids runnin' 'round to take any chances like that. that little english setter bitch i was talkin' 'bout earlier bit one of my granddaughters in the cheek (it was the girls fault, told her several times to never blow in a dogs face)....actually just nipped her but.....she (the dog) died that same day.......i do not play with dogs that bite people.....or sheep....... or chase deer all night.....mac
    Last edited by mac; September 13th, 2016 at 8:48 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

12. Saddened by xzochye is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did your granddaughter feel about being the reason the dog was killed? Did it stop her from doing it again?
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryPrincess View Post
    How did your granddaughter feel about being the reason the dog was killed? Did it stop her from doing it again?
    as far as I know she never did it again.......but I s'pect prob'ly more because she got bit than that ole Beau got killt......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Dachshunds are a great breed. They are all about wanting to cuddle.

Pitbulls have a bad rap because they have earned it. Wouldn't have one, but some people swear by them. Not in my house. Never know when they will turn.
    yeow, i like 'em too, Owl. what cha got, long hair, short hair or wire hair? i've been thinkin' 'bout gettin' a wire hair here in my doddering old age....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    yeow, i like 'em too, Owl. what cha got, long hair, short hair or wire hair? i've been thinkin' 'bout gettin' a wire hair here in my doddering old age....mac
    Have 2 shorthairs. A standard and a mini.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast