Thread: Fishing Charter - Alaska

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Charter - Alaska

huh... No Alaska 2016 thread, so I guess I'll just post this separate.

We went on a halibut charter. It was not the best day to go out, and the poor charter captain was having trouble finding good spots. That being said, I caught the biggest one (not very impressive - maybe a 25 pounder...) of the trip. My husband also caught one a little smaller and a couple of black sea bass. Then my son caught a yelloweye rockfish. We had a blast.

We want to go again earlier in the season when the halibut come in larger.

We got on the boat at :4 AM and arrived back at the dock at about 715PM.

And the best part, considering the swells while in the little boat, was that no one vomited.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

2. Likes Grammar Rules, Night Owl, fchafey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the good catch. Just for grins, would you mind telling us what the total cost per pound was? I'm guessing that it's more than we pay for choice ribeye steak here in Texas.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

4. LOL sojourner truth, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Congrats on the good catch. Just for grins, would you mind telling us what the total cost per pound was? I'm guessing that it's more than we pay for choice ribeye steak here in Texas.
    and where were you fishing out of?.,.........mac

Post Thanks / Like
    We used to do the same thing when I was stationed in Florida...

Had a boat to charter that would take you out on a half day or all day tour... about 60 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico.

I fed a few fish myself on the way out, but once I caught a huge red fish that seemed to impress the boat Captain. But, as usual with all of my fishing expeditions, the wife always caught all the good stuff. I usually hooked a puffer fish or something else that was entirely inedible.

First time I hooked a Flounder, I thought it had been exposed to mutating radiation or something... That is one odd looking fish.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

7. LOL CenTexDave, fchafey LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lud, it is not the cost per pound that is important. I don't know of many people with boats that make up their costs with their catches. ..It is the experience, the fun, the beauty, the excitement, ..the whole experience of fishing that makes the cost worth it. ...The same could be said for hunting, whether it be for deer, quail, duck, whatever....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    First time I hooked a Flounder, I thought it had been exposed to mutating radiation or something... That is one odd looking fish
    did you know, sojourner, that halibut and flounder are born with one eye on each side of the head and that they swim straight up like a salmon for a while.....and then later on one of the eyes migrates to where it winds up and the fish become flat fish......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    We brought back $536 worth of edible fish at current market prices.

Had that been our only concern, we lost that round of what passes for Vegas in Alaska.

As it was, it was our little summer vacation in one of our favorite places. And I got spend all day on a boat. I'd have spent the charter funds for that alone.

We left out of Valdez (in the Prince William Sound), but we did our fishing in the Gulf of Alaska. The Halibut came up from about 170 feet. They look funny too.

Also saw a whale, seals, sea otters, and some gorgeous rainbows going out. The views are always beyond compare in that part of the world
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

11. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Likes sickofpc, Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryPrincess View Post

Had that been our only concern, we lost that round of what passes for Vegas in Alaska.

As it was, it was our little summer vacation in one of our favorite places. And I got spend all day on a boat. I'd have spent the charter funds for that alone.

We left out of Valdez (in the Prince William Sound), but we did our fishing in the Gulf of Alaska. The Halibut came up from about 170 feet. They look funny too.

Also saw a whale, seals, sea otters, and some gorgeous rainbows going out. The views are always beyond compare in that part of the world
    I can totally relate to this. I guess I was confused because your initially posted only about the great catch. I'm glad that you had a joyful mini-vacation and I pray that the rest of life brings you as much joy.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryPrincess View Post

Glad you had a blast and I bet the trip really cleaned your head. That kind of stuff is priceless.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the commercial says... Fish taken...$536... Vacationing off the Alaska coast on a fishing tour... priceless..
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

15. Likes Night Owl, sickofpc, FieryPrincess liked this post