Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Local Golf Courses

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing that might help your score a lot...rather than use a wedge when just off the green,... if possible, use the Texas wedge...a 7 iron or 5 iron to chip and run the ball to the hole. Much easier to hit, and you won't chunk it, or blade it. To me hitting a very short wedge around the green is the hardest shot for me to hit. Think Texas wedge.

2. Thanks cnjbond thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Especially around here when it gets hot and dry. Also you can roll a 7 iron onto the green from 30 yards easier than pitching it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    cnj, one more thing, probably very important for you if you are just really starting to play. Do not be afraid to take a divot with your irons. You should be hitting down on the ball with every iron, think slightly behind it,...not sweeping it. Don't let a little sod from a divot worry you. You should be making some divots...

5. Thanks Night Owl, cnjbond thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I play on Ft. Hood at Clear Creek. I like the course but I don't use a cart. 9 holes is about all I can manage between walking the hills and pushing my golf clubs. I enjoy it quite a bit but I am not a great golfer. I usually get a 5 on a par 3, 6 on a par 4, and so on. Clear Creek is a much nicer course than many I play in California when I visit my son. I am very happy going there.

7. Likes cnjbond liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sickofpc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cnj, one more thing, probably very important for you if you are just really starting to play. Do not be afraid to take a divot with your irons. You should be hitting down on the ball with every iron, think slightly behind it,...not sweeping it. Don't let a little sod from a divot worry you. You should be making some divots...
    Oh trust me, I get excited when I create a divot...unfortunately, most of the time it's TOO far behind the ball!

Amen on the pitching and lob wedges, those things are will make a Preacher curse!!! I'll have to try using the short irons next time when I'm close to the green and see if that works any better for me.
    The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! ~ Marvin Philliips

Post Thanks / Like
    The divot is the "bit of sod" created by the down swing of the gold club, that flies, most hopefully straight. The sand/soil/seed mixture on the side of your cart, should you be playing at a place that provides one, or the mixture in 90 necked bottle in the teeing area of a typical par 3 is what you put in the cut created in the ground where the divot originated. When it comes to golf, I am afraid I would make Mac and his ax, look careless and sloppy. Sorry for that, I had a real strict teacher.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjbond View Post
    Oh trust me, I get excited when I create a divot...unfortunately, most of the time it's TOO far behind the ball!

Amen on the pitching and lob wedges, those things are will make a Preacher curse!!! I'll have to try using the short irons next time when I'm close to the green and see if that works any better for me.
    Try using your driver or 3 wood around the green. Hit hard enough to get the ball to land on the green and then it rolls like a putt. Works great especially during the summer when the ground is hard as a rock.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    When a ball is properly struck by an iron, then there will always be a divot, ideally just forward of where the ball had rested.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

12. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Early in May, I won a green fee and cart at Copperas Cove golf course. Finally decided to go yesterday.

First thing I noticed was that my friends had to pay $37 to play. I was shocked at the price because I remember playing here a few years ago and the weekend rates were $20.

The front 9 greens were in rough shape. Every green except #9 had grass missing. Many had sections of the green closed off as they were trying to grow grass. On the back nine 3 holes had temporary greens! Several had patches of freshly laid sod intermingled with the normal pressed greens.

I was appalled that they charged $37 for a course in this shape. Once again, I will never go back to this course!

14. Saddened by sickofpc is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    When a ball is properly struck by an iron, then there will always be a divot, ideally just forward of where the ball had rested.
    I don't know nothing 'bout Golf but.....Tiger Woods doesn't properly "strike" the ball with an iron?........mac

16. LOL sickofpc, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Saddened by sickofpc is saddened by this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast