Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Local Golf Courses

Post Thanks / Like
    cnj, if you are serious about playing and getting better, read some of the golf magazines. They usually have little tips that can be very helpful. If you have someone you know that is pretty good, try to play with them if you can,... that usually helps your game, also.

2. Likes cnjbond liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best way to get better is to hit balls, hit balls, hit balls. If you are serious, take lessons as well. Before I had the privilege to work for Mr. Antunes at the the golf course, I took a shag bag to Korea when 6th CAV left the building and hit four bags every night, had a putting green in my room too. It all helped. Being Greg's assistant helped even more. Having worked at Killeen and volunteered at Clear Creek, I would put Clear Creek above Killeen in that people just seem to show up and play a few holes in the middle of the course and leave, that has been going on for years and tough to stop and playing behind the Asian Nation isn't any fun either at Killeen. As for get away courses that are pretty tame and cheap, I like Lampassas. My absolute favorite is Shadow Glen in Manor, but that is far from local.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

4. Likes cnjbond liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to take about a months worth of lessons from one of the pros at Clear Creek and they helped me out TREMENDOUSLY!!! Now I try to go to the range in Nolanville at least twice a week and I also practice just my swing with a 6 iron in the house. I can definitely tell when I've gotten a lot of range time in because I usually play a lot better on the course but I can also tell when I haven't been to the range enough!!

I subscribe to a couple of instructors that post on YouTube and I watch the golf channel religiously, I've gotten some really good tips from them!

I appreciate all the tips fellas, keep 'em coming!
    The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! ~ Marvin Philliips

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have an old heavy curtain, say from the sliding back door to the house, you can hang that about 2 feet from the garage wall and hit 6 irons into it all day long. Flopping wedges from the rug onto the sofa is fun too.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

7. Likes cnjbond liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Flopping wedges from the rug onto the sofa is fun too.
    I saw some neighbor kids do that flopping wedge thing onto the sofa when they got their butts beat with a spatula for swearing to their mother.

9. LOL gnatsum, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The course in Cove is a disaster! Half of the holes are in poor shape and a couple of them on the back nine are unfair holes due to trees, maintenance, and grass issues. I've vowed to never play there again.

Sammon's is OK. But if the course is busy it's tough. The one corner of the course has two greens and three tee boxes in about a half acre area and it can be dangerous/frustrating. Balls flying at you when you are teeing off or chipping/putting. Or loud people disrupting your focus.

Stonetree in Killeen is difficult on some holes, but generally it's well kept. But the clientele can be jerks. Large slow groups that won't let people play through. Young GI's that will hit it into you frequently. Service isn't very good. The marshals don't do much but they can be rude. The starters can be snotty as well.

If you can get a deal, the course in Salado is in good shape again and getting better every day. But it's pretty expensive.

I really enjoy playing Lampasas. Its real laid back and in the trees, so even in the summer there is plenty of shade. Although the tiny, turtle-backed greens will give you indigestion if you are not careful.

I'll go to Moody if I haven't played in a while to get the kinks out in lieu of going to the driving range. But it is a pasture.

Twin Rivers in between Waco and McGregor is terrific for the money. As is Delaware Springs in Burnet. They are both a drive, but worth the trip.

11. Thanks cnjbond thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Silver Wings at Ft Rucker has a pretty good 27 holes, from what I understand, now that the unexploded ordinance has been removed from hole 8 on the blue course.
    But, I haven't played there since I got here in 2009.

13. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delaware Springs in Burnet is a fun course..you will see a lot of deer along the way...and Forest Creek in Round Rock is beautiful..usually in great condition...but, a little pricey,unless you can find a coupon somewhere...Haven't played Cove in a while..hate to hear that it is in poor shape. As far as Stonetree goes, have not enjoyed that course since they changed the layout...One of the most fun courses I have ever played is Brackenridge, in San Antonio. Love that course...short, scenic, fun... Personally, I don't like Lampasas, but everybody's taste is different...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The course in Cove is a disaster! Half of the holes are in poor shape and a couple of them on the back nine are unfair holes due to trees, maintenance, and grass issues. I've vowed to never play there again.
    I played this past Friday on the Cove course and the mowers were still trying to get it ready for the weekend crowd so the fairways and greens were a little rough. I don't mind playing out of the trees but it's near impossible to do that on this course because the undergrowth isn't maintained that well (at least not when I played the course).
    The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! ~ Marvin Philliips

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I went back to Cove (Clear Creek had another tournament going on) and actually had a pretty decent round this time. I went a little later in the day so everything was already mowed and best of all, there weren't that many golfers out there.

I took some of the advice on here and dropped nearly 20 strokes from my previous round (I also left my driver at home and just used my 3 wood which worked MUCH better)!

17. Likes fchafey, sickofpc, Night Owl, CenTexDave liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast