Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wow! What a boy toy........mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good comparison, the CH47 with the Osprey. The Osprey wasn't operational until 2007. During testing from 91-2000 it killed 30 marines. Since 2007 -6. The Chinook has been around since the 60's you know that, and of course remember I am sure, the CH47 that went down at the '82 Manheim Airshow killing all 46. That crash was due to walnut shells, yep just like the media one uses to clean brass. Other than enemy action the other notable crash was the SF Chinook that went down in the Philippine Sea killing all ten in 2002. Since 2002, the CH47's record for non combat related fatalities has been spotless. My point was the unreliability of the tilt rotor, same with a fenestron instead of a tail rotor.
    i don't know how it's possible to compare the osprey's safety record to the chinook's safety record prior to the deployment of the osprey.....that just doesn't make sense to me. all i'm saying is compare the osprey to the chinook when it was possible to compare the two.

also, it looks like you forgot when the sh1thook that went down over pineview/graph. that was a bad bad day....mac
    Last edited by mac; February 16th, 2016 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about recent, but when they were first starting out with the Osprey program I was stationed in San Diego. I heard about several Ospreys going down. It was so bad that I thought they were going to nix the program.
    that's exactly what I thought.....hell, I would've even bet money on it! The Marines, it seemed to me at the time, just were fixated on the thing and wouldn't have it any other way......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    The top brass were fixated on it. The guys who actually had to depend on it were scared of it. That was coming from a USMC drinking buddy of mine on the flight line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone recall the chinook that went down west of Ft Worth that was full of soldiers going to Ft Sill from Ft Hood. They were going to FT Sill to be OCs for the first BN ARTEP for MRLS battalions. It almost devistated the 2 MRLS batteries on FT Hood. It was a sad day for the 1CD and 2AD DivArtys. Since that day I have no trust in the chinook. It happened in the late 80s and is a day I try to forget.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2