Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR FAST FACTS - 2016 Procedural Changes: Maximum Field Sizes / Corresponding New

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation NASCAR FAST FACTS - 2016 Procedural Changes: Maximum Field Sizes / Corresponding New

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series - Maximum 40-car field (36 Charter team cars, 4 Open team cars), race winner awarded 40 points, 40th place awarded one point.
    NASCAR XFINITY Series - Maximum 40-car field, race winner awarded 40 points, 40th place awarded one point.
    NASCAR Camping World Truck Series - Maximum 32-truck field, race winner awarded 32 points, 32nd place awarded one point
    New points systems apply to driver, owner, and manufacturer championships. Existing 2015 Bonus points remain in place for 2016.
    Qualifying - NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
    Daytona 500 Specific
    - Thirty-six Charter teams will be assigned a starting position
    - Four Open teams are eligible for starting positions
    o The highest finishing Open team in each Can-Am Duel race earns a starting position
    o The final two starting positions are awarded to Open teams based on Coors Light Pole Qualifying if not already a top finisher in a Duel race
    - Qualifying sets the front row for the Daytona 500 and the starting lineup for the Can-Am Duel fields, with the number of Charter team and Open team cars split evenly throughout both races
    - If qualifying is cancelled due to weather, the top two finishing Open teams from each Can-Am Duel race earn starting positions in the Daytona 500
    - If the second Can-Am Duel race is cancelled due to weather, the highest finishing Open team from the first race earns a starting position, with the other three Open teams determined by qualifying
    - If both Can-Am Duel races are cancelled due to weather, qualifying determines all four Open teams
    - If qualifying and both Can-Am Duel races are cancelled due to weather, the combined practice speeds are used to determine the four Open teams
    - If all on-track activity prior to the race is cancelled due to weather, 2015 Owner points will be used to determine the four Open teams
    All Other Championship Race events
    - Thirty-six Charter teams will be assigned a starting position and four Open teams are eligible for starting positions.
    - Qualifying results will determine the Open team starting positions assuming the event is run as scheduled
    - If qualifying is cancelled due to weather, the combined practice speeds determine the four Open teams
    - If practice and qualifying are cancelled due to weather, Owner points determine the four Open teams (events 1-3 revert to 2015 Owner points)
    (looks like no more past champion provisional)
    NASCAR Overtime
    For all three NASCAR national series, a race may be concluded with overtime, consisting of a new procedure for a green-white-checkered flag finish featuring an "overtime line." The location of the overtime line will vary by track.
    After taking the green on the overtime restart, if the leader then passes the overtime line on the first lap under green before a caution comes out (a "clean restart"), it will be considered a valid green-white-checkered attempt. However, if a caution comes out before the leader passes the overtime line on the first lap under green, it will not be considered a valid attempt, and a subsequent attempt will be made. If necessary, multiple subsequent attempts will be made until a valid attempt occurs.
    Once a valid attempt is achieved (clean restart), it will become the only attempt at a green-white-checkered finish. If a caution comes out at any time during the valid green-white-checkered attempt, the field will be frozen and the checkered/yellow or checkered/red displayed to cars at the finish line.(NASCAR)(2-11-2016)

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -- Albus Dumbledore...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't like this charter system. As it stands now, Kurt Busch and Carl Edwards don't have charters, so they have to qualify for every race while drivers like Danica, Kahne, and many others who have not done much lately or are rookies, are locked in.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is getting ridiculous. You think the average beer drinking NASCAR race fan/attendee is going to be able to keep up with this convoluted mess? Here is a thought, where each car has qualified put them in a spot, come race day line up and drop the green flag. The first car across the line at the end of the race wins. Imagine that.
    "The difference between golf and government is that in golf you cant improve your lie"
    John Daly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's been a convoluted mess for years. Look at the money paid for winning. A Hendricks team finishing 43rd gets more prize money than a nobody team finishing 20th. It's just plain stoopid.

I get that they wanted to give the owners some way to value their team because the current business model can never be profitable, but Micheal Waltrip Racing, which no longer exists owns two charters. What sense does that make, except they get to sell or loan them to someone else.

5. Thanks fchafey thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carl and Kurt got a charter from MWR and i don't care the charter system. also don't like the feild reduction from 43 to 40, but the mighty nascar has spoken

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by taxpayer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carl and Kurt got a charter from MWR and i don't care the charter system. also don't like the feild reduction from 43 to 40, but the mighty nascar has spoken
    I don't have a problem with the 40 car field but I agree with you, this damned charter business just has an odor about it that I don't care for. I believe this means, for example, that Chase does not even have to qualify...he already has, what some of us might call, a bye. something's rotten..... in Charleston.....

anyone know who's broadcasting tonight's race? is it Fox Sports? The dadgummed NASCAR site doesn't say.....mac
    Last edited by mac; February 13th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fchafey View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. You think the average beer drinking NASCAR race fan/attendee is going to be able to keep up with this convoluted mess? Here is a thought, where each car has qualified put them in a spot, come race day line up and drop the green flag. The first car across the line at the end of the race wins. Imagine that.
    yeow, i think the average beer sotted nascar race fan can keep up with it.....but, I agree with you that it's convoluted. I mean, some of the drivers should have to prove that their capable (and fast enough) to be in the race. I just so happens that I'll be rooting for Chase the first few races this year but, doggone it, he oughtta have to earn and show the right to be out there.....mac

9. Likes fchafey, TheOldProgrammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I don't have a problem with the 40 car field but I agree with you, this damned charter business just has an odor about it that I don't care for. I believe this means, for example, that Chase does not even have to qualify...he already has, what some of us might call, a bye. something's rotten..... in Charleston.....

anyone know who's broadcasting tonight's race? is it Fox Sports? The dadgummed NASCAR site doesn't say.....mac
    Fox, green flag at 7:29pm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Fox, green flag at 7:29pm.
    thanx, rick...mac

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. The whole thing stinks. Don't mind the 40 cars always had several that only ran a few laps but the rest of it-----����

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast