Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Tree Talk (Messages moved from Rain Topic)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still haven't figured that one pout yet.... Checking between their legs is hard to do...

But it's like my ash trees... The one in back is a male and the one in front (a Texas Ash) is a female... Seed pods dropping everywhere and sprouting up saplings every year. Problem I am having with it now is the root system which is starting to really mess with my driveway and maybe even my foundation.... Very invasive top rooting systems on ash trees.

I am really curious to see how my apple tree sapling is going to fare throughout this winter, and if it survives to spring... It still has healthy green leaves and started as a seed and is now over 4 feet tall....
    what kind of apple tree is it? I've planted several and was only successful with jonathan and granny smith......a lot of times the seeds you get from apples you buy in a store are hybrid and sterile but if you've already got 4' of growth, it should at least have a blossom or so, not many, this comin' spring....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a Gala, I am pretty sure... And I started it in a pot of potting soil and it took off pretty good. Since it is growing, I would guess that it sure wasn't sterile.

AT any rate, it is one of those "nothing ventured...nothing gained" propositions anyhow. Same with my late season tomato plants. Put them in a couple of pots just to see what they would do and now I have a ton of late season tomatoes all over the patio....
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere, that if you want to grow a tree from seed or pitt that the seeds or pits need to be refrigerated for a couple of weeks to simulate a winter season passing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best place around here to buy trees?

Post Thanks / Like
    Trees R' Us....

My favorite place used to be on 2410, but they shut down. Then it was Omas on old 440, but she shut down. Any more it's a crap shoot. Maybe that place on Sleuter loop... That is where I get my firewood, but I haven't checked their selection of trees yet.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

6. Thanks ithoughtso thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of apple orchards around Mason, TX. They have an apple festival each year. Trust me, hell would sooner freeze than does Mason.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ithoughtso View Post
    Best place around here to buy trees?
    i don't know if oma's is still around or not or if she finally gave up the ghost gut if she's still open, she has the best....very very limited but it's all native.....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Trees R' Us....

My favorite place used to be on 2410, but they shut down. Then it was Omas on old 440, but she shut down. Any more it's a crap shoot. Maybe that place on Sleuter loop... That is where I get my firewood, but I haven't checked their selection of trees yet.
    yeow, if Oma's has shut down then that place way out there on schleuter is the best....there's another good place outside of temple but can't recall the name of it right now....mac

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4