Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tree Talk (Messages moved from Rain Topic)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the looks of it, it hardly had a root system.

I have a volunteer hackberry in my yard which is just 20 years old and shades the house quite well. Fruit trees are good for fruit but are generally poor shade trees since we tend to keep them short for an easier harvest. If you want a producer and shade, you can't go wrong with a Pecan. I plan to experiment with Chestnut trees this spring... I have 18 Chestnuts wintering in my reefer right now... they are of the inedible "Horse Chestnut" variety, smuggled in from the Chech Republic this fall.
    they've successfully started growing American Chestnuts again but not yet marketable........the only way to get American Chestnut wood today is by using reclaimed lumber....and, to tell the truth, most of that's gone too. it's a real fine looking tree and will really be something else if they ever get it re-established here....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    From the looks of it, it hardly had a root system.

I have a volunteer hackberry in my yard which is just 20 years old and shades the house quite well. Fruit trees are good for fruit but are generally poor shade trees since we tend to keep them short for an easier harvest. If you want a producer and shade, you can't go wrong with a Pecan. I plan to experiment with Chestnut trees this spring... I have 18 Chestnuts wintering in my reefer right now... they are of the inedible "Horse Chestnut" variety, smuggled in from the Chech Republic this fall.
    Ludwig: 'horse chestnuts' are neither horse nor chestnut. the only chestnuts in Europe are the "Spanish Chestnuts"......i think they're called castinea or something like that.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Ludwig: 'horse chestnuts' are neither horse nor chestnut. the only chestnuts in Europe are the "Spanish Chestnuts"......i think they're called castinea or something like that.....mac
    Well... whatever they are, I have 18 of them in my reefer and they look and feel, inside and out, like the "chestnuts" I used to buy on the sidewalk in New York City on a cold winter's night. Anyway, I'll just call the Chech Nuts 'cause that's where I got them.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    They have some chestnut trees at the new airport out front. A pretty messy tree when they start dropping fruit.

I would love to have a Mimosa, as I love the smell of them in blossom, but the TDA has labeled them an invasive species and they can no longer be found at local nurseries... Messy too, but I still want one.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    They have some chestnut trees at the new airport out front.
    American Chestnut trees?.........Wow, wonder how I missed that.....mac
    Last edited by Rick; December 15th, 2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: To fix the quote

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a fruitless mulberry which has lived for 18 years now in our front yard. It grows like crazy and provides great shade. Downside is it grows like crazy.

7. LOL cnjbond LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    They have some chestnut trees at the new airport out front. A pretty messy tree when they start dropping fruit. .
    I know a sweet gum has 'fruit' that sorta looks like chestnut. Leaves look sorta like maple, too. But it's not a nice tree. I've been slowly eliminating them from my yard. Down to 3 of them. I already got rid of the magnolias. Keeping the hickory, that's for sure. It's probably 120 feet tall. Almost no nuts this year.
    Last edited by kantwin; December 15th, 2015 at 5:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    I know a sweet gum has 'fruit' that sorta looks like chestnut. Leaves look sorta like maple, too. But it's not a nice tree. I've been slowly eliminating them from my yard. Down to 3 of them. I already got rid of the magnolias. Keeping the hickory, that's for sure. It's probably 120 feet tall. Almost no nuts this year.
    We know it has at least one every year.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

10. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    Hickories are illegal here in Texas. Why, you ask? Beats the hell out of me, they're a great tree. I have 3 of 'em in the back yard that are about 2 maybe 3 years old that I grew from nuts that I cracked and potted. I would like to be able to raise them to at least 10 years old before anyone from the bureaucracy spots them...mac
    Last edited by mac; December 15th, 2015 at 12:47 PM.

12. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Hickories are illegal here in Texas. Why, you ask? Beats the hell out of me, they're a great tree. I have 3 of 'em in the back yard that are about 2 maybe 3 years old that I gree from nuts that I cracked and potted. I would like to be able to raise them to at least 10 years old before anyone from the bureaucracy spots them...mac
    How can a native North American tree, known to grow in Texas natively, be illegal in Texas?
    You're gonna have to show some sort of reference for that.
    I'm just not going to take BMSS on this one...

14. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Likes just2cents liked this post
    LOL just2cents LOL'd at this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast