Thread: Lamenting the Misanthropes

Post Thanks / Like

Lamenting the Misanthropes

More and more folk are becoming misanthropic (yea, I learned me a new word today). Along with PETA, they think that if we would just rank ourselves alongside the other critters in the woods we would treat the land more gently and willingly save the planet.

In a recent article, written by some English professor and published in the NY Slimes said that it is out of human exceptionalism that comes our “abuse of other animals” and the “damage we do to the natural environment.” The remedy for our wickedness? Stop thinking of ourselves as humans, and instead “identify as animals.” If we do that, the article said and we’ll see that eating a cow is equivalent to “cannibalism.”

In my way of thinking, had it exactly bassackwards. Why is it wrong to abuse animals? Not because we’re co-mammals, but because we’re human!

Is the lion “wrong” when he eats the still-living wildebeest calf? But we would rightly consider it monstrous if one of us did it,. Nor is it “wrong” when male dolphins force themselves on unwilling females. But we often call rapists “beasts” because their brutality not only violates their victims’ bodily integrity and human dignity, but also degrades the rapists’ humanity.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post a link to the article?

Post Thanks / Like
    I draw the line at humping someones leg...
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. LOL Night Owl, just2cents LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I draw the line at humping someones leg...
    ah c'mon now! a little 4play never hurt anybody.......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

6. LOL Night Owl, sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siamcat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you post a link to the article?
    Yes, I can. But only for reference purposes. I would hate it if anyone but LauraA read the NY Slimes. I only read this article because a friend pointed me to it. Just to prove that I can, here it is: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...s-mammal/?_r=1
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

8. Thanks siamcat thanked this post