Thread: Is it just me? What's with some teachers? AARGH!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me? What's with some teachers? AARGH!!!!!!

So I have had several awkward education interactions and I am left to wonder what the heck is going on in education. I am going to have to go in with a soft voice and a large stick, obviously, but I am sick and tired of having to make people do their job.

My daughter is my golden child. She is currently taking three AP classes and one college history course at the local college. She is preparing to go to Carnegie Hall in the spring with her choir. She has a great work ethic, so she does not have missing assignments and generally pulls straight As. Generally.

She has a low B in AP Biology. Biology is the science area she wants to make a life in later, so she *really* wants to do a good job at it. She is frustrated because she doesn't understand. She has approached her teacher about some help in understanding things better so she can do a better job. She was met with "Well, an 83 is pretty good." The teacher told her than she knew how much work the class was going to be (duh) and did not really offer to help. My daughter said she might end up having to choose between the AP Biology class and choir whereupon her teacher told her it was a no-brainer - drop the music class. Maybe not the smartest thing a teacher has ever said to a child whose parents are both professional musicians. Defnitely not the smartest thing to a parent and teacher who pushes that good enough never is good enough. Fairbanks is a *very* small town atmosphere. I have heard that this teacher doesn't like to teach biology. Time to set up a meeting with this one (which will mean taking off time from work...)

Then my own school that my son now attends... They are trying to focus on more positive behavior, but I worry that they are going off half-cocked. I teach all three grade levels and there have been grade level meetings to figure these things out, but I'm not going to five meetings a week (three grade level, PLC and staff...) because I have students that actually need an actual ME to help them! The sixth grade counselor came up with a wonderful idea to reward kids with no missing work. It's a great idea. Except.... (1)not every teacher knows how to code missing work in the gradebook and (2) not every teacher cleared the missing tags off of work turned in. I know. I personally watched my son pass his missing work to his science teacher even though it was too late for him to get credit because I wanted to make sure it was turned in. I am sure that he is disappointed that he couldn't attend the little activity because the science teacher hasn't cleared the tags in the last couple of weeks. I know that I'm rather ticked and I'm 400 miles away at a doctor's appointment today. I have already emailed the teacher and the counselor.

I don't want to stalk the teachers in my building, but I have reached out to them and said "we can be here early, or we can stay late if my little guy needs extra help." I have chased down his missing work and I have made him do it whether he was getting credit or not. I make sure his work is done. And yet... he is failing three classes and no teacher reaches out to tell me what he needs and the counselor tells me he isn't on her red flag list of kids that need help. (He's dyslexic and dysgraphic, so I don't necessarily think he'll have all As, ever, but he ought to be able to pull As, B, and Cs.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryPrincess View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I have had several awkward education interactions and I am left to wonder what the heck is going on in education. I am going to have to go in with a soft voice and a large stick, obviously, but I am sick and tired of having to make people do their job.

My daughter is my golden child. She is currently taking three AP classes and one college history course at the local college. She is preparing to go to Carnegie Hall in the spring with her choir. She has a great work ethic, so she does not have missing assignments and generally pulls straight As. Generally.

She has a low B in AP Biology. Biology is the science area she wants to make a life in later, so she *really* wants to do a good job at it. She is frustrated because she doesn't understand. She has approached her teacher about some help in understanding things better so she can do a better job. She was met with "Well, an 83 is pretty good." The teacher told her than she knew how much work the class was going to be (duh) and did not really offer to help. My daughter said she might end up having to choose between the AP Biology class and choir whereupon her teacher told her it was a no-brainer - drop the music class. Maybe not the smartest thing a teacher has ever said to a child whose parents are both professional musicians. Defnitely not the smartest thing to a parent and teacher who pushes that good enough never is good enough. Fairbanks is a *very* small town atmosphere. I have heard that this teacher doesn't like to teach biology. Time to set up a meeting with this one (which will mean taking off time from work...)

Then my own school that my son now attends... They are trying to focus on more positive behavior, but I worry that they are going off half-cocked. I teach all three grade levels and there have been grade level meetings to figure these things out, but I'm not going to five meetings a week (three grade level, PLC and staff...) because I have students that actually need an actual ME to help them! The sixth grade counselor came up with a wonderful idea to reward kids with no missing work. It's a great idea. Except.... (1)not every teacher knows how to code missing work in the gradebook and (2) not every teacher cleared the missing tags off of work turned in. I know. I personally watched my son pass his missing work to his science teacher even though it was too late for him to get credit because I wanted to make sure it was turned in. I am sure that he is disappointed that he couldn't attend the little activity because the science teacher hasn't cleared the tags in the last couple of weeks. I know that I'm rather ticked and I'm 400 miles away at a doctor's appointment today. I have already emailed the teacher and the counselor.

I don't want to stalk the teachers in my building, but I have reached out to them and said "we can be here early, or we can stay late if my little guy needs extra help." I have chased down his missing work and I have made him do it whether he was getting credit or not. I make sure his work is done. And yet... he is failing three classes and no teacher reaches out to tell me what he needs and the counselor tells me he isn't on her red flag list of kids that need help. (He's dyslexic and dysgraphic, so I don't necessarily think he'll have all As, ever, but he ought to be able to pull As, B, and Cs.
    I'm so sorry. Especially in the sciences you need a good teacher. My daughter hates Chemistry to this day, because her teacher was really a biology teacher. She loves physics, because she had a great teacher.

A child who wants to improve should never be told that whatever grade is good enough. Persuade her to pursue her music passion and tell her that next year things change. Talk to her openly and hear her out. They're smarter then we think. At least that's what I found.

Best of luck.

3. Likes HistoryTeacher liked this post